Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you prefer? >

What do you prefer?

What do you prefer?

Old 09-03-2009, 06:44 PM

I would always go to the store that had a good every day price. Once I find a store I like, I'm pretty loyal. I will also pay a bit more at a store I feel offers me something extra. Things like sales people who know their stuff mean a lot to me.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

I am not very patient so I guess I would like it now, when I see it and fall in love with it.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:23 AM

I probably won't live long enough to use up all of my stash. I still can't resist checking out the clearance fabrics. I always find something that I think I might be able to use. I always try to use my JoAnn's coupons even if it is only for a spool of thread. Since I have gotten envolved with the local Linus Project I have another excuse to purchase fabric. Even making 5 or 6 linus quilts a week is not beginning to make a dent in my stash. I currently have at least 4 still sealed bolts of fabric.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:29 AM
Banned

$1 off everyday..... :D
Old 09-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

If we are talking in person shopping, the $1 off every day gets my vote!!!
Online I have to take into consideration their shipping fees...it is frustrating to find a sale but then when shipping is added the cost of the fabric can go up to the same price that my expensive LQS charges every day. I don't mind paying the actual shipping charges, but the handling fees added on usually take it out of my price range!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by amma
If we are talking in person shopping, the $1 off every day gets my vote!!!
Online I have to take into consideration their shipping fees...it is frustrating to find a sale but then when shipping is added the cost of the fabric can go up to the same price that my expensive LQS charges every day. I don't mind paying the actual shipping charges, but the handling fees added on usually take it out of my price range!
Not too long ago, I placed an order for a quilt pattern that was on "sale" but was still $7.50. The shipping was almost $10. Needless to say, I didn't order that pattern. I also emailed the company and told them what I thought about their shipping and "handling" charges...never heard from them and they will never get any more of my money :evil:

Old 09-04-2009, 05:42 PM

i have a lot of fabric, so i can wait for a really good 'clearance' sale. unless, of, course, i see something that i must have . in that case, i'll buy it at retail.

i recently had a conversation with a friend about s + h. if i wait for a great sale, i have no trouble spending $50 - $100 on fabric that costs $2.00 - $2.99 a yard. the s + h goes down proportionately as the yardage goes up. i showed her some statements (which i keep) so she could see for herself that if the the sale is terrific, the s + h only adds around .30 - .50 a yard. that is still a great buy.

the sale has to be wonderful, but when it is then i'm on it like flies on a popsicle! that makes it possible for me to spend retail on something special that i can see real possibilities for.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

I have a large stash, so I can wait for sales. I always look at remnants, and will jump on fat quarters at .99, but have learned to slide my finger under, to see if the fat quarter is cheap, see throughy fabric.
If I had local quilt stores, that gave me good service, and always carried good quality fabric, then I would probably go for option #1, but that is not my case, so I go with #2.
It's not very often, that I have to have a certain color, etc. right now. I have so many bundle-projects, that just about anything, would go with one of them :D