Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you put in your Fat Quarter Bag? >

What do you put in your Fat Quarter Bag?

What do you put in your Fat Quarter Bag?

Old 02-07-2023, 03:19 AM

Default What do you put in your Fat Quarter Bag?

My Guild had a workshop where we learned to make a Fat Quarter Bag that uses 6 Fat quarters + Yardage
We used the free Fat Quarter bag pattern at allfreesewing.com

Mine is almost complete...I have 1 handle to topstitch and one side to insert the elastic. I'll post when I have it finished.
I used Minnie Mouse fabric. My thoughts were to give it to my 2 and half yr old GD for when she spends the night with us.
It can hold her toys, books, blanket and whatever else she needs.

I'm curious as to what others put in their FQ bags. Lots of ladies in our guild use them for bringing their quilts to the guild meeting's Sew and Tell.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:19 AM

I haven't made one yet. But when I do, I'll let you know what treasures I put in mine. Great idea to use it for your GD for overnights.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:40 AM

My fat quarter bag turned out huge! I use it for beach towels, etc.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

I have been making these for years! I don't use fat quarters any more, just yardage. It uses a lot of fabric so a good stash buster. Each of my grands have one made from theme fabric of their choice. The boys love them too. It holds everything they want to bring plus clothes. I use one to hold the big afghan I'm crocheting, and one to take quilts for show and tell. I made the 3 year old grand a smaller one (he can fit inside the regular size one) and he loves his dinosaur bag. My daughters ask for one more please every now and then.

I made one for each quilter at our retreat and usually give a few to the guild for door prizes. One thing I will say you definitely need a good bodkin. I use the Clover Love to Sew bodkin. I can have the elastic in the bag in a minute. Use to take me a long time. I don't top stitch around the bag, it doesn't seem to make a difference.. Its free from Martingale. https://www.allfreesewing.com/pdf_download.php?id=1711

Last edited by Onebyone; 02-07-2023 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

Here are a couple of pics of some of the bags I made.

The Dick and Jane one is mine I use for crochet, the other three are bags I made for the grandboys, spider man, deer tracks lined with baseballs, sea life lined with stars.
Attached Thumbnails img_9201.jpg   img_9503.jpg  
Old 02-07-2023, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

Never seen this bag before. Thanks for posting the link to it I can see some gifts made for people I know.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:19 PM

Mine has plastic canvas supplies that for the most part are going to the senior center for freebies and I will give the yarn for them but I always keep my pattern books as they can become Swedish Weaving (huck towelling) patterns which I enjoy doing when I can find the fabric.
Old 02-08-2023, 02:33 AM

Onebyone, Thank you for posting the link to the pattern pdf..fantastic! Also, thank you for posting photos of your bags.

Novelty fabrics are perfect for The Fat quarter bags, either as the Lining or using up fat quarters. The bag is Reversible, too!

So many ideas for what to put in these large bags...love the beach towel idea....and use for large needle projects such as afgans.
....and I just thought of another idea to use up my Christmas fabric stash....use as a giant gift bag or to carry all the presents to family christmas gift exchange.

Please keep those ideas coming. Thank you!

Old 02-08-2023, 03:24 AM

Has anyone tried a light weight batting between the layers and quilting them with a stipple stitch, or cross hatch. A little extra time involved, but they might make a cute junkin' around purse.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

If you make it the pattern size you can fit a small child in that junk' around purse. LOL

I have made so many I use 1 1/2 for outside and 1 1/2 for lining. I cut 5 inches each from the outside fabric and the lining for the handles. Do not skip putting batting in the handles, that makes a big difference. You can use a thick braided rope for beach and utility use and skip the handle making.

I lay the two fabrics RST and sew around leaving an opening then trim, no measuring needed. I can can make one in less then an hour from cutting to finish. I highly recommend the Clover Love to Sew bodkin for the elastic. I put in the elastic and sew one end down before it goes past the opening. Then pull the bodkin through gathering as I go and sew the other end at the opposite opening while the bodkin is still holding it. The bodkin has never released no matter how much I pulled on it and my hand does not get tired. I pulled fabric to make two more bags this morning.