Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What do you serge?

What do you serge?

My Serger came out of hiding yesterday. Can't believe it still works after all those years in storage, but now what do I do with it? What do y'all serge? I hope you will share your favorite ways to use yours.

I haven't had my serger long but got it mostly for easy clothes. I have made a bunch of pajama pants for family members and myself and also doll clothes. I haven't used it for quilting but have read about that.

I made a lot of pillowcases for all the children in our family for Halloween (used glow in the dark fabric for some), Christmas, and other holidays. Made pillowcases for my bed. Am now working on a cover for my Thirty-One Skirt Bag. Also used for doll clothes and clothing for me! Love, love, love my serger and wonder what I did without it all those years.

Oh, and a couple years ago I bought fleece and rounded the corners and serged with woolly nylon all around the edge for quick blanket gifts.

A serger is great for lots of sewing, but I don't use it for quilting. It's great for lingerie and swimwear as well as kids clothing. I use it for anything that is going to get heavy wear....the seams are great!

My serger sat's out all the time but I still make a lot of my own tops. I use it when I'm working on hand bags. the thing I love to use my serger for the most is to serger the edges of the hand embriodery / stitch quilt blocks so they not fary when I working on them.
    Scrapy quilts have more love in them.

Power Poster
    I overcast raw edges of fabrics before washing them
    Finish raw seams to take away that "homemade"look
    The edge of a quilt before binding it - I use a loose, wide overcast on the edge
    Last edited by bearisgray; 06-27-2013 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I overcast raw edges of fabrics before washing them
    Finish raw seams to take away that "homemade"look
    The edge of a quilt before binding it - I use a loose, wide overcast on the edge
    i do all the above plus I love the rolled hem to put on edges of napkins or anything else that needs a nice edge.

This is a timely subject because just this week a friend gave me an older model serger that she no longer uses. I've never had a serger and don't really know what to do with it. I don't sew garments or totes and am at a loss as to whether I should keep the serger or not.

Scrappy, I dug mine out after watching Fons & Porter 2103 – Periwinkles in Bloom. Pam Mahshie did some puffing and pin tucks on a baby quilt, it was inspiring.

Simple clothes, and repairing old towels and washcloths that have started to fray at the edges.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Not a dang thing!!

My serger, hidden in the attic, is the most expensive paperweight I've ever bought.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Summer capris and cotton skirts, placemats and napkins, finish edge for hemming pants before machine stitching, doll clothes, repairing tears in ready-mades. I don't use it for quilting; too much thread for my taste. I love my serger--it's 14 years old, mechanical rather than computerized and comes with cards that tell you how to set up for each stitch, with tension, stitch length and all. It is a moderately priced, does 2-3-4 threads, rolled edge, differential feed. No cover stitch or wave. It runs very smoothly. It's an Elna 634; I don't think they make them anymore, But I have seen ones similar at the dealer.

Same with mine...used it once....may be selling it...my niece is thinking about it...if not, offering on our guild's sale list next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Not a dang thing!!

My serger, hidden in the attic, is the most expensive paperweight I've ever bought.

Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    I have men in my family and I'm forever cutting pants shorter or Making shorts from pants that are too short to be long LOL. I have to hem my pants also. They are always too long. Great grandkids clothes always need to be fixed.