Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you take to do at retreats? >

What do you take to do at retreats?

What do you take to do at retreats?

Old 10-09-2016, 04:06 PM

I find it best to precut my projects also. The cutting table is shared and I don't want to hog it for a long time. It is easier to get projects done or at least partially done when pre cut. Several projects to break up my interest works well. I may get bored with one or just frustrated at some point. Of course there is always plenty of time to socialize. Have fun!
Old 10-09-2016, 05:38 PM

going to a retreat in a week (if I survive the 2 & 3yr old staying this week for 3 days!) and I'll take several projects--all precut. While my guild will take the table risers to bring those cutting tables to a height not to break backs, I just do lousy job when I'm cutting at a retreat. I also take my sewing chair, an Ott lamp and my Dr. Scholl vibrating/heating seat pad!
Old 10-10-2016, 03:18 AM

I have not had the pleasure of a retreat but it's on my bucket list. I think preparing a project by pre cutting would be beneficial so you could sew and chat. I would also bring more than one project in case I needed a break from one. : )

Have a great time and we'd love to hear about your experience.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:05 AM

I bring several projects (much more than I could accomplish in three days). I usually spend the week before pre cutting. I have found that cutting at home is less stressful and I make fewer mistakes. I package each project together and also bring extra fabric .. just in case.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:11 AM

Jealous jealous jealous!!! I have never been on a quilt retreat - the ones I have looked at are either during my work schedule, or I can't justify the price for what is provided. Being an organized person, I think that I would do all of my cutting before hand, take several small projects, having a clear outline as to what I wish to get done. I can see doing a lot of socializing as well, so I agree with quiltingcandy that I could get distracted!
Old 10-10-2016, 06:37 AM

I usually take more than one project. I take a project that is 1/2-3/4 completed and finish that one first. That way I don't go home feeling like I didn't really accomplish anything! I also take a new project that I have already cut and studied the directions so I know what I am doing (the cat fancy quilt I posted on here was a project at the retreat I just came home from). I also take two or three hand sewing projects just in case I get tired of using the machine, get both my projects finished early, or, heaven forbid, my machine breaks down! I went to one retreat where a person's machine broke down the first day and another person forgot the cord to their machine. I felt so sorry for both of them.
I hope you have a great time on your retreat and be sure to tell us about it when you return!
Old 10-10-2016, 07:22 AM

I precut all projects and put in individual bags with thread or anything else the project calls for to make sure I don't forget anything.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:54 AM

I went to my 1st retreat last month and signed up for a couple of their class projects. Those I precut ahead of time and put in bags to keep them separate. I also took a couple projects I'm working on for those hours when I couldn't sleep or wasn't working on the class projects. Also took a quilt that needed the binding handstitched to the back during times I just wanted to chat with others. Of course it helps if you remember to take thread for the class projects as well as for the other projects. I forgot so had to purchase some. I'd taken the 10-thread gadget off my machine and forgot to remove the large spool of thread I was using..............DUH!!!!! Next time I hope I'll remember to make a list and check it off twice. Enjoyed myself enough that I'm already planning for the retreat in March next year.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:21 AM

I love, love, love retreats. I'm working all week so when I can have 48 hours of pure sewing/quilting pleasure, I'm in. I belong to a church ministry and we make baby quilts for the local hospital's "special care unit"......so when I know I have a retreat coming up, I'll have 3 or 4 quilts machine quilted so I can just put on the binding, I'll have 5 or 6 quilts sandwiched so I can machine quilt them and then I bring precuts and pattern ideas so I can make the tops. I may or may not take the class depending on if it's something I want to do.......and I'm usually one of the last to go to bed in the wee hours of the morning. I always bring way more that I finish, but it allows me to move from one project to the other when I get bored......oh and since I have 2 sewing machines....I bring them both and this last retreat, my big machine made a screeching noise and stopped working an hour into the retreat. Thankfully I had my Featherweight machine with me and the repair shop within driving so I could sew the first night on my Featherweight and got a loaner from the dealer while they fixed my machine.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:21 AM

I'm going on a quilt retreat this coming weekend in Big Bear, CA and am so excited!! I gathered up four UFO projects - pulled the fabrics I'll need from my stash and hope to finish at least one or two tops.

Good idea to pre-cut beforehand. Also like the idea of the table risers.

Have fun!!