Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What Do You Use To Adhere Your Cutting Mat?

What Do You Use To Adhere Your Cutting Mat?

I have two large cutting mats that tend to slide about. I have used those shelf liners beneath them to keep them in place, but that didn't work very well. I've also tried spray adhesive and rubber cement. Those last two work well, but only temporarily. Any thoughts?
    "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove."

What kind of mat do you have? I haven't experienced that problem with my mats only my rulers which I now use those little grippers. Maybe those would work on the back of your mat?
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

I have a large, self healing mat from my grandmother that's quite old (yet it still looks new). I also have a square blue one I bought from Wal-Mart. The older one is thick, like the 54" ones from Joann's, and the blue one from Wal-Mart is the thin kind that needs to be replaced every so often. They both slide, so I was wondering what I could use to keep them in place.
    "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove."

I use a lamp. Yes, really.

On the little one though, it just slides around. I've thought about putting one of those kitchen mats under it and just never remember to do it.

I don't have that problem, but would the "no-slide-em stuff" that are put on rulers to keep them from sliding work? Can't remember the name of it now and I don't have any left to check. It comes in a roll that can be cut to size with sticky stuff on the back to attach to the ruler.

I hadn't thought of that! I have an extra roll that I keep on hand for new rulers. I'll have to try some of it and see if it works. I'm not sure if it will work on my big mat since it has a textured background, but it might work on my blue mat. Thanks! Any other ideas are welcome, too! I'd hate to put all of my eggs in one basket, and not sure how to adhere a textured mat to a smooth surface.

Blog Entries
    i used double sided tape around the edges of mine- worked quite well- much easier to clean up than rubber cement or spray adhesive- you can still see through it & it's held well for 6 years and counting.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I don't understand why large cutting mats would slide around. Is the surface under them especially slick?

Quote Originally Posted by Ps 150 View Post
    I have two large cutting mats that tend to slide about. I have used those shelf liners beneath them to keep them in place, but that didn't work very well. I've also tried spray adhesive and rubber cement. Those last two work well, but only temporarily. Any thoughts?
    I used double sided tape and it worked quite well

the table i have is strictly for cutting so I use double sided tape and it's held since i put it on

Me too - double sided carpet tape. I use it to keep 2 mats together side by side, to double my cutting surface.

Double sided tape made by "gorrila glue". You don't need much - just along the sides.

I've used double sided tape in the past for the smaller blue one and it held for a little while, but not too long. The blue one is on a folding table, like the kind you buy at Wal-Mart, and the large mat is on a slick surface, like a laminate counter top.

Oh, I hadn't thought of the Gorilla Glue Tape! That might work perfectly. Where would I find it? I haven't seen the GG Double Sided Tape before.

Blog Entries
    Binder clips or alligator clamps, whichever is closest and fits best on the table. My setup has to be modular, so I can't use any kind of adhesive.

I bought this at either Home Depot or Lowe's. You might be able to find it at Walmart tho. It's great stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ps 150 View Post
    Oh, I hadn't thought of the Gorilla Glue Tape! That might work perfectly. Where would I find it? I haven't seen the GG Double Sided Tape before.

In my classroom we use this tacky blue stuff so students don't slip out of their chairs and to hold adaptive writing surfaces in place. We get it from the occupational and physical therapists, but I have no clue what it's called. It's thin, and really floppy. Probably silicone or something similar. I bet it would work great for this purpose. I will go hunting for it...

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have a 23x72 cutting mat and it's in two pieces. It's held together by a clamp on both ends that has 2 screws on each end. Every so often I have to check the screws because they become loose. Ask at your local quilt store if they can order just the parts I'm talking about. The clamps are gold colored and slide on. Then you put the gold colored screws in the holes and just tighten them with your fingers. I know you can order them separately, because I accidentally lost a screw because I wasn't paying attention and one came loose and fell off and I couldn't find it. Maybe google 23x72 cutting mat. I just looked at it and it's called an "Olfa Mat Clip". Hope that helps.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I don't know if I can easily screw into the table that it's on, but I like the idea of clamps, perhaps with superglue?? First, I'll try the double sided Gorilla Glue Tape, though. Thanks!

I use double-sided tape too. I have two 24x36 mats butted together to make a large mat. They've been stuck in place for a couple of years now with no slipping...
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Blog Entries
    I use Handi-Tak (check for it on google) on the underside of my mats, etc to hold them in place. It comes off very easily if I need to move it and it doesn't leave a mess.... It's the same stuff I used when my kids were in school to tack up all their ART on the walls. I love the stuff and always keep it on hand.

I use double-sided sticky squares and they work just fine. I think they're by 3M but not sure at the moment. Find them anywhere. Let us know what you decide to use & how it works for you. Good luck!

Jane
    Jane

Blog Entries
    Handi-Tak sounds very similar to Sticky-Tack and museum putty. I use Sticky-Tack for all kinds of stuff around the house, it's great! The absolute best use to date - I used it to tack down all of my husband's family's antique china I have on display shelving. We had a decent-sized earthquake a few years ago, not one piece of china shifted or fell, thank goodness.

Well, I tried thin strips of Scotch Double Sided Tape, but it didn't last long. Then again, I was using 1/2" thick tape to try and hold a 30" x 36" dense cutting mat. So, today I stopped into my local Ace and when I found they didn't carry Double Sided Gorilla Tape, I picked up some 2" Double Sided Carpet Tape. I just applied it to the table and my mat stuck instantly. I'm hoping it lasts. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I just purchased another large Olfa mat and butted it up against an existing mat withDritz double sided Res-Q Tape. My older mat has been taped down with the double sided tape for over a year and has never moved even a fraction of a smidgeon. In other words, the tape is good stuff! I secured several rolled pieces of the tape along the edge that butts up against the old mat. Fits exactly perfect and measuring the inch marking along the bottom, it is a perfect inch spacing. Lines up beautifully. I can't believe I waited as long as I did to make a bigger mat. No more moving yardages of fabric while cutting. There is no lumpiness or raising of the mats using this tape. This tape can be found most anyplace.