Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What do you use for templates?

What do you use for templates?

I went to a local quilt shop - which I don't often do becuase the prices just overwhelme me but anyway....I saw a quilt and just fell in love. Both the pattern and the colors. So I am going to make Revolution by Abbey Lane Quilts. http://www.abbeylanequilts.com/revolution.html

This will be the first quilt I work on that I need to use templates to cut. For the last year or so all my pieces have been cut by my Accuquilt Go so I am nervous that I won't have the nice perfect pieces I am so used to now.

I made my template with foam core that I have left over from wrapping my fabric. But I don't know if this is sturdy enough.

What do you use for templates and how well does it work?

Blog Entries
    I have also been wondering this. So glad you asked this. Thanks, I'll be watching!!!!!
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Blog Entries
    You could try template plastic. For that pattern though, I'd be tempted to just cut rectangles and trim off the extra points off the sides once the strip was complete, like I did on my French Braid quilts.

Banned
    Foam core will not hold up and stay accurate. You need a template plastic or some other stiff plastic which will keep its shape. I would not recommend any cardboard or other soft edge material since you need true cuts.

I am not sure why you would need templates for this pattern. Do like Katier825 said and it should come out fine. Good luck.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Blog Entries
    template plastic is easy to use- you can usually either buy it by the sheet or in packages of multiple sheets- holds up- some (like mylar template sheets) can be ironed---others can not be. it is inexpensive (couple dollars a sheet- i think my sheets are 11" x 14" or something like that- fairly good sized...i pick it up at my lqs
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    You could try template plastic. For that pattern though, I'd be tempted to just cut rectangles and trim off the extra points off the sides once the strip was complete, like I did on my French Braid quilts.
    looks like you could sew strips together and cut at an angle. You wouldn't even need to cut individual rectangles.l
    Jean in MI

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
    I am not sure why you would need templates for this pattern.
    Ditto. I would simply sew strips together and trim.

Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    This is what I would do -- but if you feel you need templates, use template plastic since it it better than foam core at standing up to the rotary cutters.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I use Mylar.

I love the idea of sewing strips and trimming - but I don't really understand how that works...I have gotten pretty good at looking at quilts and figuring out how to see the block - but I am completly out of the loop on this one!

It can't be that hard- I just am missing something.

Wait - I think I have it. If I put 2 pieces together and see how long from the top left corner to the bottom right corner than I know how long my strips need to be. Then I just have to figure out my angle. Of course it is not one on my ruler!

ditto ... for that pattern, I'd strip piece and then slice off the pieces on the angle that is required.

For templates that will be used a lot ... I take the template pattern to a local glass shop, and they cut them for me out of the same plexi as our quilters' rulers! Makes for some pretty quick and slick cutting, using a small rotary blade.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    I use x-ray sheets that I get free from the hospital. Makes grreat patterns.

I use a plastic template that JoAnn's sells. They come in a package of 3 sheets and are located in the quilting section. The sheets are large too. They are inexpensive. If I want to applique or make a template, I use a permanent marker pen with a fine tip, very easy to make whatever template you want. I lay the plastic over the design I want and draw around it or print a picture and do the same.

Template plastic works well. If it is a pattern you think you might use more than once then I have actually gone to my local glass shop and had them cut from plexiglass which wasn't overly costly and will last forever. We have a box of templates.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Does the pattern ask for templates?

Blog Entries
    The pattern says quick to cut templates. I wouldn't cut each rectangle that's for sure. I would try this way first: triple the width of the template and layer the fabric four deep and cut one big shape then slice into the correct size. Here is a good pattern to see how to cut the strips into angles. : http://quiltbug.com/free/table-topper.htm. It's the same just don't add the squares to the rectangle shapes.
    Got fabric?

QM
    I agree that sewing strips together then cutting via your ruler sounds like a good plan, although there will be some wastage with this method.

Unfotunately, I am a "frequent flier" at my doc's office. I get spoiled XRay film to use for templates.

Blog Entries
    I don't see a need for a template for this pattern. Just make your strip sets and cut the anlge required. Maybe I'm not seeing it!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Z
    Blog Entries

Template material

The plastic cutting mats for kitchen use work very well. You can get packs of four very inexpensively from Walmart or the dollar stores. Their only disadvantage is that they are colored instead of clear.

Quote Originally Posted by cminor View Post
    I went to a local quilt shop - which I don't often do becuase the prices just overwhelme me but anyway....I saw a quilt and just fell in love. Both the pattern and the colors. So I am going to make Revolution by Abbey Lane Quilts. http://www.abbeylanequilts.com/revolution.html

This will be the first quilt I work on that I need to use templates to cut. For the last year or so all my pieces have been cut by my Accuquilt Go so I am nervous that I won't have the nice perfect pieces I am so used to now.

I made my template with foam core that I have left over from wrapping my fabric. But I don't know if this is sturdy enough.

What do you use for templates and how well does it work?

Blog Entries
    I have been forced to glue plastic staffer type folders together to cut out templates. I have also used those very cheap boards for the kitchen in different colours.
    Both worked. But I would do as others suggest
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    I don't see a need for a template for this pattern. Just make your strip sets and cut the anlge required. Maybe I'm not seeing it!
    peace
    I agree, looks like a lone star..that is, sew strips, but not in straight line...each strip would be "in" about 1/2" or so so that then you cut strips and they are automatically on an angle...I am sure there is a tute somewhere with exact info........why waste time using a template...looks like a great way to use a jellyroll....hmmmm, might try that.......