Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you use to vacuum your sewing room?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariposa
    I have a teenage daughter. She's learning to be independent! ;)
    nice...but be prepared..they move out....now ALL the housework is MINE..how lucky can one woman be???

I recently thought my vacuum cleaner was not working at its best so I turned it upside down to see if I could spot the trouble. Well....I had vacuumed the sewing room and even though I do make attempts to hit the trash can, it was loaded with thread and bits of fabric and the brushes couldn't even turn. Since I got that cleaned up I think I will use my husbands little shop vac so I won't have to do that again. I'm happy for the suggestion to use a shop vac.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariposa
    I have a teenage daughter. She's learning to be independent! ;)
    nice...but be prepared..they move out....now ALL the housework is MINE..how lucky can one woman be???
    All the housework was mine - whether she lived here or when she moved out. Darling daughter does minimum housework in her own house! I sure did something wrong! -

:(

You are supposed to vacuum? I try very hard not to! :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    OH, great the shop vac is outside I will see if it still works!

I use a cordless Shark in my sewing room. Then about once a month I take my old scissors and cut the threads off the brushes. Takes me a few minutes but the shark is so handy. I don't have to keep rolling the darn cord up.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald46
    I have hardwood floors in my sewing room. Sweeps up easily.
    I too have hardwood floor in here and use a piece of warm and natural cut to fit the swiffer. Just run it around. Keep a waste basket under the edge of my cutting table and just push the mess over the edge. Masking tape next to the sewing machine catches the threads. Have very little sewing mess. The other mess, I can't address here. LOL

I use a magnetic tool to pick up pins, but I love all the ideas to use instead of the vacuum. My DH is the one that sees all the thread on the beater bar of the vacuum and fusses about it. We just moved to a house with a central vac. We've been there a month, and I still don't know how to use it - but my DH does!!

I should use a back hoe but I use a shop vac....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I use the adhesive lint roller around the sewing machine rug area to get the threads & pins before vacumning. Saves picking up pins in vacumn & having to pull the threads off the vacumn brushes.
    Great idea!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katsewnsew
    I use this old Singer vacuum, upright, about 15 yrs. old! It won't die!!! And it still works great!
    I have a Kenmore like this (it's going on 30 years old). ;-)

My windtunnel has a clog that DH has been trying to get out for 4 days (too much dust from remodeling the house). :?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    My DH.
    Now that has to be a first - wonderful idea - a one of a kind helpful unit to have in the house for such! :)

I have been wondering what to use. I've burned out three vaccume cleaners over the years from the threads and stuff. A shop vac. Okay ladies, I'm sold. Now to buy one!!! Thanks, you have saved my sanity and my rug.
    bev.

Blog Entries
    I have a swiffer duster that is battery powered, works great on laminate floor. Have an old vacuum I keep in the basement for the braided rug.

Senior Member Candy Apple Quilts's Avatar
    I have a painted floor, so I just wrap a scrap of extra batting around my Swiffer, and use that....

But for vacuuming, I just use my regular sweeper. If all the long threads are picked up first, I don't have any trouble with them wrapper around the beater bar...

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    You can use a new toilet bowl brush to pick up the threads before you vacuum.
    I learned this one a long time ago (from somewhere?!) and it really does work. I do this before the vacuum arrives in my sewing room with my DH attached to the handle :-) so the pins and the threads won't ruin my vacuum.

I keep a small, carry-around shop vac in my sewing room. I use a rolling chair to sew in and if I don't keep the threads and stuff cleaned up, it gets into the wheels and locks them up. It's way easier to vacuum than to pick that mass of stuff out of the wheels!

never thought about the threads getting caught in the beater bars...doesn't happen to my vacuum for some reason....

for light jobs, one of those lint rollers work marvelously though!

I have hardwood floors and use a shop vac when I vacuum.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Sews
    I use a broom or dust mop. There is no carpet anywhere in my house. Helps with alergies.
    I have wood flooring in my sewing room and I just sweep it and get all the PINS and threads up with dust pan.

I use a stick/hand vac.no beater bars to clean threads off of. Works great....looking to get laminate flooring for whole house soon...the carpet is very worn and creates so much dust (Ihate to dust). I just hope the "wood" floors won't be too cold, but I can wear slippers or shoes so feet don't get too cold...lol

Blog Entries
    I too have central vacuum system. Does a wonderful job picking up all those little pieces. I keep a small Fuller Brush power maid vacuum under my sewing table, with a special attachment to suck out lent in sewing machine. The central vac is to powerful to use for that. Would probably suck out the sewing machines innards :shock:

You are supposed to vacuum? Is that like cleaning?

Blog Entries
    My sewing room is the only room with carpet. I prefer carpet, the threads, pins stay where you drop them, not move all under and in hard to get places. I bought a inexpensive small bagless floor vacuum from Walmart and keep it in my sewing room closet. It works great and I don't care if it picks up pins or gets thread wound all in the rollers. The one I have now has lasted over two years, even the cheap ones get better and better.

I put down ceramic tile in my sewing studio so I can use a swiffer most of the time and a shop vac when I deep clean

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast