Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you want in terms of a pattern? >

What do you want in terms of a pattern?

What do you want in terms of a pattern?

Old 07-20-2020, 07:59 AM

Default What do you want in terms of a pattern?

When I started before the rotary revolution, pretty much all I had as available resources were block collection books, or the newspaper type patterns. My first book, for example, was 101 Blocks by Ruby McKim (one of the newspaper ladies).
https://www.amazon.com/101-Patchwork.../dp/0486207730

That was all we were given, here's a black and white picture of a block, often with no dimensions just a grid. No layout usually. No discussion on fabric selection or seam allowance. No hints on sashing or alternate blocks or dimensions or yardage or construction techniques, so I learned to draft out my patterns and figure out the yardage from there by graph paper, folding, and eventually I started using compasses and protractors and other things from drafting supply stores before quilting versions were made and sold. Moved on from there into my computer with Electric Quilt, but I still keep graph pads handy. I learned about setting options by looking at the work of others, and how since I wanted to showcase my piecing more than my quilting, typically sashing or all over patterns were better for me then alternate squares.

Sometimes I'm rather mystified when someone wants a pattern for something that is very very simple to me, like a 9-patch variation and I wonder am I answering the question they are asking. For me it's well you take the finished dimension, add 1/2 inch for your seam allowance, cut two strips that size, sew them together, add another strip, cut. Resew. Rinse. Repeat. Put together. Done.

So when someone here is asking for directions or wants a pattern, do you need to be reminded that seams are 1/4"? Do you want actual construction details down to the "press seam toward" of each and every sub-unit? And then the order to connect the sub-units? And then the blocks, sashing, borders?? How do you then deal with different styles or construction techniques? A lot of what I'm learning these days are different techniques, like I cut and sew large and trim down but I started by being very precise.

Do you want figured out yardage? Is yardage enough or do you need cutting diagrams? Is it the math, either in adding in seams or best way to cut that is confusing? Do you need to know when we say "take a square and cut it along the diagonal" that means the long diagonal edge is bias and the two outer edges are straight on grain and why that can be important? Is it the math that happens with diagonals?

What are the things you are wanting and needing and looking for in a pattern/directions?
Old 07-20-2020, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

I think new quilters want an estimate of the yardage needed. I am old school and like to figure it out myself and add a little extra fabric in case of a mistake. I also like to use graph paper to work out block patterns myself. I like to see a picture of a pattern but often make changes I like better. Some people enjoy colouring inside the lines....others jump over the line and run wild and free.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

I think a pattern is great! Not really for simple blocks, but for blocks with many pieces it is wonderful. It allows you to get cutting and piecing without all the graphics, math and piecing order worked out ahead of time. For me, it is more relaxing and allows me to change the things up after seeing the finished quilt picture on the pattern. I suppose I am saying I am lazy and prefer to have all that done for me. Honesty is sometimes a freedom too. LOL!
There are patterns that require a 1/8th of an inch seam allowance that have many intersecting lines to the center of the small block. The pressing direction is important too. Those kind of things come with experience, true, but to have someone teach you these things requires either a great pattern, or a class taken at a shop. There is always room for learning a new way or a new technique. So, being a homebody quilter, I choose patterns.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 07-20-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:23 AM

I think when you're writing patterns, you should write them as if the quilter is a beginner, and here is why I think that:
Most experienced quilters will skip right over the general instructions that are usually given at the front of the pattern, such as "sew all seams at 1/4" inch, because they already know that. Experienced quilters can also figure out different or preferred ways of assembly on their own. However, new quilters often don't know that. My mom was a garment sewist, not professional, but sewed enough to make blouses for herself, pillowcase dresses for her church charity, etc. She was invited to join a round robin. I told her I didn't think it was the best choice for a beginner quilter, but she really wanted to do it, so I told her I would help and she could ask questions, etc. Well, she didn't know what she didn't know, didn't ask me the right questions, sewed all her seams with a 5/8" seam, and the other members of the round robin were both mad at her and laughed her. (Then, because they were mean to my mama, I had to go kick all of their... never mind. ) Fortunately she didn't let that experience stop her and she still quilts.
My point is, write and explain everything in detail. It won't hurt experienced quilters and will help beginners.

eta: One of the things I hear most from both beginning and experienced quilters is how they wished patterns would give fabric requirements for multiple sizes of quilts. Obviously you can't do that for all quilt patterns, but for those that are easily scalable, I think is a good idea.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:41 AM

I don't use a lot of patterns, but when I do I want everything on them. Every detail. And a picture of an actual quilt made from the pattern...no "graphic representations".

I am not a mathemagician. Present me with a math problem and I will likely come up with the wrong answer, which is why I want the pattern maker to give me the right answer.

I also appreciate it when pattern makers mention shortcut ways to do things, as in: "You can use the Eight at a time method to do these HST's and here's a link". Yup...I want it all.

Watson
Old 07-20-2020, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

I really dislike patterns with a lot of filler like how to draw diagonal lines and sew on opposite sides, sew 1/4" seam, square each block, etc. This should be labeled a Beginner pattern. Less text the better with good colored pictures. I go by the yardage needed chart for a good estimate.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

I like Peckish's suggestion of "the basics" being included at the beginning of the pattern. Seam allowances, etc.
I also tend to ignore those instructions when I see them - sometimes to my regret.
Once in a while, newbies/beginners ask questions that remind me that "it is not obvious how that should be done!"
I do like good/accurate descriptions. One time I was making a bag/purse - and I was not able to match the drawing. Well - when I looked at the picture/photograph - that did not match the drawing, either.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:25 AM

I come from more of a technical writing background and working with engineers and so I tend to over-explain (I call it being thorough) and then I don't want to seem like I'm talking down to someone and start glossing over things that maybe need some thoroughness. For wordy people like me, a picture is worth 10,000 words indeed!

Since I was self-taught many years before the internet I was able to use some general sewing knowledge, but things like why we cut a square with a single slash sometimes and why we cut with an X other times were usually not explained back in the day. Or why fabric grain is largely ignored nowadays, fussy cut all you want! Nor the math questions, which is one of the reasons sometimes we go one way or the other, depending on the measurement we know... and sometimes it is a matter of dealing with bias/stretch in fabric or just in the best use of the yardage.

Sometimes I think the why we need to do something is sometimes maybe more important than the how, we can achieve the same results in different ways. Some will be easier or harder, more consistent, or whatever it may be. I don't usually feel the need to starch my fabric, but I did a test block the other day where I would really recommend using starch and felt it was necessary for that pattern combined maybe with the fabric I chose to work with.

I did the Bonnie Hunter Frolic mystery this past year. I felt her instructions were really good and I'm thinking of doing this year's mystery and using her to guide me through pressing my seams to the side (I usually press open). Part of the problems I have with pressing to the side is there is the usual "press to the dark" but there are a lot of exclusions, and there are reasons why sometimes you do one or another. The problem we got into this year was not from her directions so much as trying to preserve the mystery element.

I very rarely buy patterns myself since I am able to draft them out. Exceptions were since they were direct copies of someone else's original work is I bought Elizabeth Hartman's Hazel Hedgehog, and the Guilty Quilter's Labyrinth Walk patterns even though I drafted both out. Still haven't made either yet -- but if I do it will be with clean heart!

Mostly the things I'm trying to do now are techniques, some of which can be taught in books like Karla Alexander's Stack the Deck concept(s) which I recommend, others are better in demos live or on the internet.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

I love patterns and having all that work done for me. As far as details, since the advent of Youtube you can find answers to just about everything there.
But ask me to draft a pattern and I'm completely useless
Old 07-20-2020, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post

eta: One of the things I hear most from both beginning and experienced quilters is how they wished patterns would give fabric requirements for multiple sizes of quilts. Obviously you can't do that for all quilt patterns, but for those that are easily scalable, I think is a good idea.
That was why I used to like Quiltmaker magazine. Many of their patterns were written that way. But they gradually stopped that, I guess because it was more work. I let my subscription lapse several years ago after I got 4 or 5 magazines in a row where there was nothing I wanted to make. It used to be that there were two or three innovative new patterns or techniques every issue, and that was what I wanted. Not just another pattern for Churn Dash or Ninepatch.