Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What does edge to edge mean to you?  Where do you stop your design? >

What does edge to edge mean to you? Where do you stop your design?

What does edge to edge mean to you? Where do you stop your design?

Old 05-13-2016, 09:11 AM
anonymous

Default What does edge to edge mean to you? Where do you

I design it to go off the edge. I like that look. That is often how framed art is too. A plus to this is that I don't have to worry about burying my starting and ending stitches.

Last edited by summitbay; 05-13-2016 at 09:13 AM. Reason: grammar

Old 05-13-2016, 09:19 AM

I was taught in a longarm class to start an e2e a little above the top edge and a little off to the right edge and run it off the left side and bottom. That way everything is covered evenly.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

I run it off of the edge.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:05 AM

I do hand guided...and go off the edge..if the design doesn't quite meet the edge right, I will redraw with dry erase marker on the plastic that covers the panto....I do that at the end too, if it doesn't quite fit the edge of the quilt...just redraw a bit...in an e2e the eye is not being drawn to the quilting pattern as much as it is to the piecing......just how I do it....
Old 05-13-2016, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I don't have a computer so when I am doing an E2E panto I am working from the back of the machine. I go all the way to the edge, in fact I usually go off the edge a bit. I think most hand guided people do. I have a clear plastic that I keep over my panto and mark it with masking tape so I know where to stop. My mark is even with the very edge of the quilt.

The only drawback I can see happening is sometimes, if your design loops out then back in, you can fold over the very edge of the quilt with stitching and I have had that happen when I first started. I simply removed those few stitches that did that. Now when I baste my edges my basting stitch is more like 1/8" from the edge instead of 1/4. It helps stop that fold over issue. I don't think quilting all the way to the very edge detracts from the design as that is the nature of E2E designs, especially pantos (as opposed to an all over free hand E2E) as most are designed that way. I also feel that the binding will help anchor the stitches. In the case of a panto, I would much rather have the quilting disappear under the binding than come to an abrupt stop if the quilter inadvertently had the machine set to end the design too soon. Additionally, some people like to have a larger than quarter inch binding. While 1/4" is the norm how do we know if the client is going to do a larger binding? If they do then the quilting is going to disappear under it even if the Longarmer set the machine to stop 1/4" from the raw edge.
This is my process too
Old 05-13-2016, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

it doesn't matter to me if it's over the edge. the binding covers it up, and there is no problem attaching binding to it. if i'm doing quilt as you go, then you need to leave about 1/2" to attache to the next piece.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:01 PM

If it is specific quilting is feathers you need to leave space for the binding. On the other hand if it is an all over design then it can go off the edge.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:05 AM
Power Poster

i run it off the edge as well
Old 05-14-2016, 03:16 AM

I have been a long armer for longer than I can remember!! My E2E goes completely over the edge and is covered by the binding
Old 05-14-2016, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by DianneK View Post
I have been a long armer for longer than I can remember!! My E2E goes completely over the edge and is covered by the binding

I too quilt off the edge of the top when quilting a pantograph pattern, otherwise known as an edge to edge design. I baste along the edges of the top as I roll the sandwich onto the takeup bar using a "zig zag" stitch, as I find this keeps the fabric from folding back onto the quilt top when I stitch off the edge and come back onto the top to finish the pattern.