Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What does a newbie ask Santa for?

What does a newbie ask Santa for?

Hello! I am a very new quilter. Have never sewn anything before. Took a mini-class where we did a very simple stained glass throw sized quilt and loved it. Now I am hooked! I am really looking forward to learning all kinds of stuff. I am taking the craftsy 2012 BOM class and have completed 4 of the blocks for the sampler. Loving it.

I am wondering - what does a girl ask santa for for christmas? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Here is what I have procured so far:

Brother xr1300 (santa came early!)
    cutting mat
    6x24 ruler
    rotary cutter (these 3 items were in a set for 1/2 price at Joann's!)
    pins
    frixion pen
    basting spray
    iron
    fabric for my craftsy quilt

Here is what is already on my wish-list:
    FABRIC!!!
    batting
    Leah Day's FMQ class on craftsy
    12.5x12.5" ruler
    thread set
    table top ironing board (currently iron on a book on my coffee table)
    seam ripper!!! (scissors just aren't cutting it - ha ha ha).

Just wondering what else to add to the list while I have time. Santa is well off (or so I hear) but I live on disability. Plus, my birthday is in January, so I need to strike while the iron is hot! Any ideas are appreciated. My "studio" is my couch and coffee table, so space is limited...

ps - i found out about this board from a widower friend. His wife was a member here. When she passed, you made the most beautiful memory quilts. How fantastically touching!

Blog Entries
    ruler you don't have!!!! and want

Blog Entries
    Fabric books gift cards to get all the good stuff you need

Blog Entries
    EQ7 for designing your own quilts
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

The one ruler that I use for everything is the Olfa 6 x 12 frosted ruler - I had this ruler before I had any "specialty" rulers or large square up rulers. I use this for just about everything (OBTW - you will get widely diverse answers with this question - lol)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

Banned
    I took a Quilting 101 class, worth more than any of the gadgets, fabric, etc. I have purchased. A gift certificate for classes would be awesome.

Blog Entries
    My suggestion would be good lighting, extra bobbins, extra sewing machine needles, extra rotary cutter blades, a good quilting how-to book, a design wall (tablecloth with fleece backing works), & I love the small 4 inch embroidery scissors. That would be a good choice also. Welcome to the QB & to the joys of quilting.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Rotary cutting blades, scissors (you can never have too many of either). Gift certificate to Connecting threads.

Clover wonder clips for binding

A large square up ruler!

A rotary blade sharpener -- will save you lots of money on buying new blades. What about additional feet for your machine? Gift certificate to your LQS? I just asked my DH to keep paying my credit card bills -- lol.

You might want to look on Leah Days website, beore signing up at Craftsy. She does many tutorials on a lot of aspects of making a quilt, ironing, pressing, FMQ, etc. All for free! It's http://www.daystyledesigns.com.
    SittingPretty

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I agree with eparys; get that 6" x 12" Olfa ruler!

* Also a book called The Art of Classic Quiltmaking by Harriet Hargrave and Sharon Squire if you can get only one.
    * A gift certificate to Connecting Threads for fabric, books, threads, batting -- www.connectingthreads.com.
    * Several spools of natural/ecru and a couple spools of medium gray 100% cotton thread. With these you can piece virtually any quilt. Get them from Connecting Threads with that gift certificate!
    * Clover brand seam rippers.
    * a package of 45mm replacement blades for your cutter.
    * a package of Hobbs or Quilter's Dream cotton batting in KING size.....from this size you can make FOUR lap-sized quilts!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    In a small space I also like to use my two sided thingy...one side is a cutting mat, the other side is a pressing surface. Oh, and I love my cutting mat that turns...I don't know what it's called. Also a padded tv tray for pressing in a small area.
    Joan

I would totally go with the sharpener for the rotary cutter! That's on my list too! Another thing that might help, depending on your space is storage items. Right now my craft room is literally a sea of fabric, and you have to wade in to get to the shelves where all my little stuff is. I don't know if you plan to do any applique work at all, but if so a pressing sheet helps a lot and Steam a Seam as well!

Blog Entries
    Seam ripper!

Small scissors (thread snips)
    Clover Seam Ripper - I've tried several, Clover is great.
    A set of the Spiral-eye self threading needles - http://www.spiraleyeneedles.com/
    A roll of 1" green painters tape - seriously - MANY uses for this stuff - great stocking stuffer!
    Mary-Ellens Best Press (starch)
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I agree with eparys; get that 6" x 12" Olfa ruler!

* Also a book called The Art of Classic Quiltmaking by Harriet Hargrave and Sharon Squire if you can get only one.
    * A gift certificate to Connecting Threads for fabric, books, threads, batting -- www.connectingthreads.com.
    * Several spools of natural/ecru and a couple spools of medium gray 100% cotton thread. With these you can piece virtually any quilt. Get them from Connecting Threads with that gift certificate!
    * Clover brand seam rippers.
    * a package of 45mm replacement blades for your cutter.
    * a package of Hobbs or Quilter's Dream cotton batting in KING size.....from this size you can make FOUR lap-sized quilts!

Jan in VA
    These are all great suggestions... but I think Jan has really hit upon many important "must-haves"... I would add, perhaps, a gift certif. for a class or two at your nearest or favorite LQS... Every class I've ever taken has REALLY paid off!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Blog Entries
    A Big Bottle of Elmer's School Glue for basting. Sooooooooooooo much easier than sew or pin basting!!

A "klutz" glove for the hand that is placed on your ruler. You never know when that rotary cutter is going to slip or you don't place you hand well enough away from the edge of the ruler. Better safe than sorry.
    jackie

I love my june tailor shape cut, fabric calculator, better homes and gardens complete guide to quilting(seriously it is my most used book IMHO one of the best overall books on the market for general quilting information). Square rulers for squaring up your blocks. Those are my most used. If you like embellishing or applique the clover mini iron 2 is awesome
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Haha, I just make up a list of "sewing stuff" and give it to my husband and he's a happy camper. He doesn't have to put any thought into it. My list consists of gift cards to local fabric shops, blades for my rotary cutter, cutting mats, and quilting magazines. I write down name brands and specific names of items. That way I get what I want and we are both happy.

Magazines or patterns????
    Square up rulers
    Fabric....fabric....fabric

did i mention fabric???? lol
    Faten
    Www.easyquiltingcorner.com

Work like you don't need the money
    Love like you have never been hurt

Welcome to the board.
    Apart from all the suggestions on here, what about a magazine subscription? That way you'll be able to see what's new throughout the year - as your experience grows you'll probably want different things.
    I was stunned by how quickly I 'outgrew' my first machine.
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

Blog Entries
    I agree with thimalina the seam ripper. Some Re much better than others. I bought an excellent seam ripper the point is very. Pointey and sharp a bernina auraura 440 QE came with it.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast