Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What does the numbers mean on the side of fabric? >
  • What does the numbers mean on the side of fabric?

• What does the numbers mean on the side of fabric?

Old 09-12-2013, 04:16 PM

Default What does the numbers mean on the side of fabric?

What do the numbers mean on the sides of some of the fabric I purchase? I bought some yesterday and want to get a color or two to go with. One says 'designed and produced exclusively for Joann fabric and craft store' and has 4 numbered circles that are different colors. The other piece says 'autumn sun texture blocks. Susan Winget. With about 12 different numbered circles. I don't want to sound 'dense' but I want more fabric that will match up.
    Old 09-12-2013, 04:19 PM

They are all the different colors in the fabric. If you can't take the fabric you can pull off that selvage and take it shopping with you when you are trying to buy fabrics to go with it.
    Old 09-12-2013, 04:53 PM

I personally prefer to take a piece of the fabric along because even though those circles show the individual colors they don't always clearly portray the proportions or the overall "look". But they are still helpful.
    Old 09-12-2013, 05:11 PM

When I learned that about the colors on the selvege, it was a big DOH moment! Not sure about the numbers, but the colored circles should be the colors in the fabric.
    Old 09-12-2013, 05:14 PM

Each color is numbered. If there are 8 colors in the fabric, there will be 8 circles, each numbered, in the selvage. It's so much fun when there are a lot of colors to pick them out; some are quite subtle. Do this with antsy kids if you have to wait in line at the checkout! Like I Spy!
    Old 09-12-2013, 05:35 PM

They are the color registrations . When a fabric is printed each color goes on in different print sequences . The color with the number 1 is the first color printed and so on and so forth( sometimes more than one color is printed at the same time depending on where they fall in the image being printed). The circles ( sometimes squares) are a check point to make sure the colors are "landing" where they are supposed to . If the color printing is off the circle more than the exceptable tolerance for quality printing, they know to stop the run and re calibrate the printing.
    Do note that sometimes a color is intentionally printed over another in parts of the image.
    Old 09-12-2013, 08:40 PM

One of the reasons I love this board ... I learn so much! Thanks, Lori!

Originally Posted by Lori S
    They are the color registrations . When a fabric is printed each color goes on in different print sequences . The color with the number 1 is the first color printed and so on and so forth( sometimes more than one color is printed at the same time depending on where they fall in the image being printed). The circles ( sometimes squares) are a check point to make sure the colors are "landing" where they are supposed to . If the color printing is off the circle more than the exceptable tolerance for quality printing, they know to stop the run and re calibrate the printing.
    Do note that sometimes a color is intentionally printed over another in parts of the image.