Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What does your LQS do? Tear or cut? >

What does your LQS do? Tear or cut?

What does your LQS do? Tear or cut?

Old 11-04-2009, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

Let me list some of the things we feel strongly about. :?

Cut or tear fabric
Pre-wash or not
Starch or not
Press seams open or to one side
Straighten or not straighten
Make first cut lengthwise or crosswise
Methods for applique
How we store our supplies

About the only thing this does - it shows that there is more than one way to do something.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:36 AM

I recently went to one of the LQS that are in town. I bought some fabric and they tore it. Then afterwards, she picked it up and began stretching it in all directions. My jaw dropped to the floor. I would have preferred cutting. I know everyone has their own preference but if you have to abuse the fabric by stretching it in all directions after tearing it, wouldn't it be better to just cut it?
Old 11-04-2009, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lissy
I recently went to one of the LQS that are in town. I bought some fabric and they tore it. Then afterwards, she picked it up and began stretching it in all directions. My jaw dropped to the floor. I would have preferred cutting. I know everyone has their own preference but if you have to abuse the fabric by stretching it in all directions after tearing it, wouldn't it be better to just cut it?
She's not abusing it. It'll probably be the straightest piece of fabric you've ever bought.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:10 AM

I hope you are right. I haven't had a chance yet to get it out to sew yet but I'm sure it will be fine. It was just a shock to me.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:14 AM

Guess it would be smart of a shop person cutting to ask:)Or if they only prefer one way post it on the door before you even go in:)It also could be an 'area' thing....I honestly have never seen a ripped anything other then wool here in Missouri. There is no reason for anyone to take offense to what one prefers or not. It's not to be taken personally on any account !for me to be offended in going into a LQS where kits run over $100, fabric is anywhere from $8.50 to $12 and they 'ripped'. To expect what in 'my opinion' respect at the cutting table. I have bought quite a bit of fabric in my shorter quilting years and have come home w/my whole yard and cut straight! I would refuse to buy ripped fabric. Then again, I love starch, I don't prewash for I like the crispness of it all...frayed edges would drive me insane!:) This also could be a generation of preference. Very interesting in itself....a forever non ripper:)Skeat
Old 11-04-2009, 02:41 PM

I don't know why she was stretching it is not necessary when the fabric is torn. I have never stretched, just iron and it is fine.
Originally Posted by Lissy
Old 11-04-2009, 02:45 PM

I have been ordering a lot of fabric online and it is great, in fact other than not getting to see it up close, it has been the best. I have noticed most has been torn and I get a very generous yard. Since the stores have gotten so tight with the yard I prefer to order online.