Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what is the easiest FMQ to try for the first time? >

what is the easiest FMQ to try for the first time?

what is the easiest FMQ to try for the first time?

Old 09-25-2013, 11:45 AM

Default what is the easiest FMQ to try for the first time?

I have been practicing FMQ on scrap sandwhiches. I am considering trying to FMQ on an actual quilt now.... but I am just curious about what is the "easiest" FMQ pattern that you guys do? Is stenciling on the quilt top to sew on helpful?
Old 09-25-2013, 12:10 PM

There are many, many people that will answer that are far more skilled than I, however I can let you know how I jumped into FM. The first quilt I did was just an all over stipple design. It was a long ways from perfect but it really was a good way to get the hand and machine speed synchronized, plus it helped me relax into the process. The next one combined marked (stenciled) designs with stippling. I think following a marked pattern is harder than a random design but since you have been working on your skills you probably can answer the question in terms of yourself.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:14 PM

My easiest is kind of a combination of stipple/meander, but with loops - don't know what to call that. I didn't do any kind of marking. I find that the easiest because I can break the stippling rule of not having any quilting lines cross, and can use a combination of big loops or small ones, depending on the space I need to fill up.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:17 PM

I would also say a wide stippling or a meander. What is easy or difficult is so different for each person. I'd say that's a great place to start - if it comes easy to you move on to something more challenging...though some people find stippling challenging. Jump right in there - that's the best way if you ask me!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:40 PM

I've tried about every method. I've marked, I've used water soluable stabilizer basted on top, I've pinned paper shapes to the top and stitched around them. Maybe one day I will get experienced enough to just "wing it" without so many safety nets. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Banned

What is wrong with safety nets.....fmq is not just meandering or "winging" it. It is not using the feed dog. Why is it that most believe FMQ is just wandering around over the quilt to do the quilting. There are continuous line quilting designs both on paper and stencils to use in marking a FREE MOTION TECHNIQUE design.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

Meandering is fairly hard to get smooth when you first start FMQ. You might have better luck with loop de loops as it gives you a spot to rest to reposition your hands. Some people like to mark designs but I recommend a marking method that is easily erased so you don't have to follow the design exactly. I like to use white chalkboard chalk.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:49 PM

I like to do what I call a spikey stipple by purposely putting in a stop it gives you a chance to work out your next move. I am directionally challenged and I just quilt myself into a corner if I don't stop and work out where to to next. Needle down is a real must. I hope this helps.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]438115[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails shell-apples-detail-2.jpg  
Old 09-25-2013, 02:28 PM

Wow, that 's looking great, woody!

For me, the loop de loops seem easiest.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:28 PM

My favorite quick quilt is a FMQ meander. Think puzzle pieces with no straight lines. I'll do a few pieces then do something that looks like a flower to keep it from being too straight. I have found that when I am working on a quilt the best way is to spray baste and pin one day and start on the FMQ the beginning of the next day, when I can devote the entire day to the process. When I start and try to pick up the next day, it's hard to get the meanders the same size. Just relax your shoulders and go. Check the back with your fingers to make certain you are not getting "eyelashes" when you either go clockwise or counterclockwise, then you will know which direction to slow down in the curves.