Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is EQ? >

What is EQ?

What is EQ?

Old 12-11-2012, 05:48 PM

EQ is able to be used on Mac's. You need to use something like Bootcamp to use EQ though.

I like to have a 'look, see' at possible quilt ideas before cutting. Then I keep the file.

I have EQ6 and love it. Got my first EQ with EQ4. I personally did not find a difficult learning curve. With EQ4 there was an EQ Simplified book. I don't think that is available now. The tutorials provided with the software are great!

When I get EQ7 I'll probably get together with friends and have an EQ day so we all learn together. I am also fortunate to have a few EQ experts locally ... one of whom actually teaches EQ nationally through the EQ folks.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:05 PM

I have A Mac and I don't think that program works with mac.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:52 PM

There is no EQ version for Mac. You have to run a virtual Windows machine on your Mac to run EQ software.

Hope that answers that question.

I have EQ 6 & 7 and use it frequently. I like to experiment - what would happen if I tried this or that, or put this color here instead, that sort of thing. It also gives me a pretty fair estimation of how much fabric I need.

Last edited by Peckish; 12-11-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Banned

You can run EQ on a Mac either through Bootcamp, which is free and provided by Apple, but required you to purchase a copy of Windows to install on a separate partition.... or you can install Windows in Parallels or Fusion (neither are free)and install EQ to that. I personally prefer the latter option, as both Parallels and Fusion run on the Mac desktop seamlessly, whereas Bootcamp requires you to shut down the computer and reboot into Windows.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:38 PM

I just ordered the EQ7 upgrade last week and got it a few days ago. Can't use it until tomorrow. (birthday present for me) Can't wait to see what the differences are between the EQ6 and 7. I used the 6 all the time. Love to see what a quilt looks like before I cut. I design my own blocks or use from their library. Then I scan the materials in and there is my quilt. I am always surprised that most of the time I change the colors around. I also like to know how much material a certain quilt takes before I go to the store. The amounts are very generous due to the way the EQ collects their info for cutting, so I always have plenty. I love playing around with it. Probably more than actually making the quilt. A new EQ7 costs around $190.00, but check the Electric quilt site. They might have a special on that. My upgrade was 70.00 instead of 89.00.