Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What Exactly is Kona Cotton?

Blog Entries

What Exactly is Kona Cotton?

I have read so many comments on here about Kona and I am still a bit confused. It seems to be a type of fabric? There seems to be many manufacturers, and the quality seems to vary. That much I've picked up. But, what is it? Do you recognize it when you see a bolt of it, or do you have to check the label on the bolt? Thanks in advance for the education.
    Novie
    Working my way through life, one block at a time.

Power Poster
    See post #32 on page 4 of this thread:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...-t33854-4.html

Blog Entries
    Great information. Thank you, bearisgray!
    Novie

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Novice.for.now View Post
    Great information. Thank you, bearisgray!
    You are welcome.

Linking directly to the post mentioned above (not everyone has the same number of posts per page).
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...tml#post746926

The Robert Kaufman Company was contacted by a board member in January 2010 because there was SO much confusion about Kona Cotton Solids. They very graciously showed up and joined the board in order to respond. Gotta love that. It shows they really do care about us.

Keepsake Quilting has done the very same thing, again member requested (same member actually), at confusion over the Keepsake Calico sold by JoAnn's (they have nothing to do with it and have tried for years to get them to change the name, with no luck).
    Last edited by ghostrider; 07-06-2013 at 12:28 PM.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    I have never understood why anyone would think Keepsake Quilting had anything to do with Keepsake Calico sold at a chain store. It's two separate names.
    Got fabric?

I have always used Kona Cotton made by Robert Kaufman when using a solid color fabric. I used only their fabrics when I made my Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt top using the plastic hexagon templates. I think the quality of their fabric is superb. Hancock's of Paducah carries the whole lineup of colors.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I order it (Kona) from Fabric Warehouse in Portland, OR., by the bolt...and get a greater discount that way. Use a lot of black, butter, cream, and off white in quilts.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone, for the info. I may HAVE to go looking for some to have on hand for future projects. :-)
    Novie

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
    I order it (Kona) from Fabric Warehouse in Portland, OR., by the bolt...and get a greater discount that way. Use a lot of black, butter, cream, and off white in quilts.
    Would you post the information for Fabric Warehouse's website? Thank you.
    Jo
    Happy Days!!! I am retired and have fabric and a sewing machine...what could be better than that?

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    See post #32 on page 4 of this thread:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...-t33854-4.html
    Thank you for this information! I've always wondered about this. I like kona but don't care for it for applique due to the thickness. When do you all reach for the kona?

I have always used Kona fabric and never been disappointed. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
    Thank you for this information! I've always wondered about this. I like kona but don't care for it for applique due to the thickness. When do you all reach for the kona?
    I like to use Kona for the background of my applique blocks.

I read the article by Kaufman, and I'm wondering how that relates to sheet thread count? Would it be similar to a high count cotton sheet, and good to use for pillowcases or duvet covers?
    :-)
    CAS

Blog Entries
    I love the REAL Kona fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
    I read the article by Kaufman, and I'm wondering how that relates to sheet thread count? Would it be similar to a high count cotton sheet, and good to use for pillowcases or duvet covers?
    Kona Cotton Solids are 60 x 60 threads, a broadcloth. Moda Bella Solids, also broadcloth, are the same. Standard quilting cottons are closer to 75 threads and batiks are higher than that.

I'm wondering how that translates to purchased sheets which are listed as 180-1000 thread count on the label?

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Kona Cotton Solids are 60 x 60 threads, a broadcloth. Moda Bella Solids, also broadcloth, are the same. Standard quilting cottons are closer to 75 threads and batiks are higher than that.
    :-)
    CAS

Quote Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
    I'm wondering how that translates to purchased sheets which are listed as 180-1000 thread count on the label?
    There is plenty of information available on the internet regarding the thread count of sheets and how it is computed. Generally sheet manufacturers count the plies within each thread which is how they get such insanely high numbers. The idea of 1000 actual threads per inch is inconceivable, imo, and the system is not the least bit standardized.