Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What fabrics would go with these? >

What fabrics would go with these?

What fabrics would go with these?

Old 12-12-2011, 04:17 PM

Default What fabrics would go with these?

Before I could actually sew I started collecting fabrics...JUST IN CASE...well I saw these and they came as a bundle...now I have used the green as a lining for a denim tote...but the rest needs to be used...BUT I'm not sure a quilt of stars would be ideal...so was wondering what other patterns or colours would go with them...
Or what block pattern to use. I am new with making fancy blocks so they would need to be simple. I have other fabrics needing used as well but the stars have me stumped..

Here is a photo to show what I am talking about.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]295164[/ATTACH]

Cheers
Julie
Attached Thumbnails 30stars1.jpg  
Old 12-12-2011, 04:46 PM

Welcome Julie. Love the fabrics but I,m fairly new and will wait for someone with more
expierience to decide. I will be watching this post.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:59 PM

Personally, I'd go with some bold stripes in the same colors as the stars or maybe add solid(s) (again in the same colors) to calm it down (those stars are very busy). But seeing as how you live in Northern Ireland, that may not be as 'fitting' as it would be here in the states...stars and stripes, don't ya know? *giggle*
Old 12-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

You could do most anything with those. Look for some solids/darks that go with them and use them together ... or separately. When I say solids, I'm meaning "reads as solids" .... so it may be a tone on tone or a slight print but from a distance you don't see the design. Similarly for the dark, I'm thinking the same colours as the outlines of the stars, so not dark as in black, but a depth of colour to see the contrast from the whiteness of your star materials to the other.

For block designs ... being newer in quilting and in fancy blocks, as you suggested ... I'd suggest you go to QuiltersCache.com and pick out some you want to try. You could do a quilt all of one block, or a sampler, where you every block is different.

Remember ... there's no rules in quilting! And the possibilities are endless and the only limitations are the ones you put on yourself.

So just go for it ... be brave and you'll see something wonderful come together!!

Good Luck ... and Welcome to the Boards!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:08 PM

I would mix them with 30's and 40's reproduction fabrics and make a vintage looking quilt from an old pattern of that era. The colors of the stars look like they would meld right together with the reproductions. They could also be used as some of the "light" fabrics in some log cabin blocks made with other darker prints in the same color family. Such as darker teals, darker blues, darker pinks etc. I think they are wonderful and could be put to use in so many ways. BTW, congratulations on seeing your way through to becoming one who sews and quilts. Please enjoy the many steps that it takes to make beautiful quilts!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:09 PM

they're just a small scale all-over print...don't be intimidated...you have to decide what the effect is that you want...

you can put matching solids, a medium scale stripe and maybe one other geometric in small-medium scale.
or medium floral with other colors that can be picked up for tiny color areas
or all matching tone on tone prints (matching colors, i mean) put together in 9patches for alternate blocks with these
or find stripes in some of the same colors and do a stars and stripes theme
or put into a baby quilt, many baby prints are pastels like these

whatever you decide to do, the best mixes usually have a common thread, the color or the print and then you choose a few things to go with them that have a medium size and a large size to go with this tiny one.... find a block that has a visual 'movement' to it...a star or a diagonal design (that's why so many quilt blocks have half square triangles in them...it moves the eye further along... which is what you're trying to do... play with them...take them to the store and put them on things that match... see what looks attractive to your eye and then trust it... if you get it together and something looks missing, look for something in the same tone (not shade, but tone) and put in something really light, really dark or really bright in those tones.... every quilt needs a 'zinger' to complement the basic combo... and you might not know what a zinger is, but look at the quilts you like... your eye will be drawn to one thing that keeps your attention, keeps your eye moving from block to block or side to side... that's your zinger, and it will probably not be large...the less you use of one color, the more you SEE it... and try to analyse what it is that you like about quilts you are drawn to... you don't want to make someone else's quilt, but you can learn a lot about what you like and don't like by looking at lots of other people's work... have fun...this is not a test, it is a creative hobby and should be fun at every step along the way.

Last edited by deemail; 12-12-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:42 PM

Thanks to all those that responded. Your help is valueless and help all us newbies. I really like the fabrics and wish I had some of those. Welcome from across the pond.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Northern California. How about some pinwheels blocks? I am susre what ever you do they will be fine. Be sure and show us what you do. BrendaK
Old 12-12-2011, 05:50 PM

Polka dots are so HOT now and these stars basically have the same look and would look great as binding, trim on bags. I can think of many ways to use them. I would love to put some on my mug rugs!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

If you squint your eyes and look at them they really read as pale colours. I don't really "see" the stars so I'd pair them with solids in close to the same colours and do just about any simple pattern, Rail fence, Nine Patch, Square in a Square etc.