Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a good lower price Sewing Machine >

What is a good lower price Sewing Machine

What is a good lower price Sewing Machine

Old 08-22-2011, 04:30 AM

Happy Birthday! Consumer Repots listed Kenmore (Sears brand) as a top pick not too long ago - they are incidentally made by Janome. Catch one on sale and you can get a good machine for a reasonable price. I've been sewing on one for 7 years and have been very happy with it. The last time I took it in for a "maintenance" visit, the technician told me they were really good machines with very few "issues". He also told me the machine they had the most problems with are the new Singers. Hope this helps.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:30 AM

Happy Birthday!
Old 08-22-2011, 04:48 AM

Happy Birthday! I just returned from visiting our Grands, and used my DD Brother 400 SE to piece a large Dresden Plate. It was wonderful, didn't realize I was sewing with such relecks at home. I loved the no pedal, the speed control, the easy to read screen, the easy to find 1/4 inch seam allowance. Did I say I enjoyed this machine? Under $400. For the money, I think you should try it. I didn't even try the embroidery, but DD loves it.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:02 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Just look around and try out a few, you will know which one to get when you play with them!
Old 08-22-2011, 05:08 AM

Love the cobalt blue in your avatar!
Old 08-22-2011, 05:09 AM

I would stick with Janome. Check the 3160. Some dealers will work with you, and you might get some trade in value on your 2010.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:10 AM

Happy birthday - and hope you find the perfect machine! I too would like a new "in-expensive" model, but don't know what to get either, but I do know from reading on here and other places, do NOT get cheapies out of Walmart or anywhere - they are throwaway models, that cannot be repaired, so I've been told.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:22 AM

Happy Birthday!!!

Be sure to ask about floor models too. Sometimes you can get a great deal on those. I have a Kenmore 19233 that unfortunately has been discontinued, but it is a great machine.

I have been searching for a new machine, with a larger workspace. One of the key things folks told me to do, was to 1. Shop around, try them all. 2. Take samples with me that would represent the type of sewing I would do. 3. Make sure you like the dealer, because that is where you will get your lessons on your new machine. And if you have an issue you want folks that are friendly and nice to deal with.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:39 AM

I really don't see any reason to buy another machine.
Unless you want to get a embroidery machine, but they aren't cheap. You may find a used one in your budget.
Keep in mind then you need to buy thread, stabilizer, designs,
it adds up, so be sure to allow this in your budget.
Happy Birthday. :thumbup:
Old 08-22-2011, 05:41 AM

I got a used Bernina from ebay that had been from a school for under $300. I was debating between that and a new Janome but I REALLY wanted the Bernina! :) Before you buy, go to Amazon.com and see if there are any reviews on the model you want. If I had done that before I got my Singer T&S a few years ago, I wouldn't have gotten the piece of junk! Everything is going to have a few bad reviews but if it's got a 2 star rating, stay away!