Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a good piecing thread tex number? >

What is a good piecing thread tex number?

What is a good piecing thread tex number?

Old 06-07-2023, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Default What is a good piecing thread tex number?

I want to order some cones of thread from Wawak but the weight is tex. I get so confused with these numbers. They use to sell Aurifil and the tex number for that was 7. Tex no 40 is 30 wt which is too thick for piecing. I guess I want someone to say buy_______ it's what I use.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:05 PM

Hmmm, tried looking it up but none of the links I got through firefox seemed safe. I can see it is a strong thread for long arm use.
Old 06-07-2023, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

All thread has a tex weight but usually not sold that way in shops. All are listed as weight. 50 weight being the go to weight for piecing. Each weight has a tex number but seems not all are the same. Confusing. Wawak is a professional sewing supplier. The site is secure. I have ordered zippers, seam rippers, snips, etc for years. I did call but the person I talked to only knew about heavy duty sewing. Didn't know about thread like Superior, Wonderfil, Aurifil to compare.
Old 06-07-2023, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
All thread has a tex weight but usually not sold that way in shops. All are listed as weight. 50 weight being the go to weight for piecing. Each weight has a tex number but seems not all are the same. Confusing. Wawak is a professional sewing supplier. The site is secure. I have ordered zippers, seam rippers, snips, etc for years. I did call but the person I talked to only knew about heavy duty sewing. Didn't know about thread like Superior, Wonderfil, Aurifil to compare.
Thread sizing is so confusing. If you want the 'geek' version - Wawak has a quick conversion chart at https://www.wawak.com/49a8f0/globala...nversion-Chart
They have another chart on one of the pages for poly-core thread about half way down this page https://www.wawak.com/thread/thread-.../#sku=pwc102bk
but does not give comparisons of actual brands.
There is a chart that perhaps by needle size would help determine tex equivalent. https://www.sailrite.com/Selecting-t...ht-Thread-Size
There is another one at https://wsrv.nl/?url=images.victoria...ead_charts.JPG

I wonder if you contacted one of the companies that made the thread that you have used and see if they could tell you the tex size of their thread.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 06-08-2023, 12:10 PM

Historically in my college days;
Tex referred to the strength of the thread. It was how much weight a thread could support. When running commercial machines a higher Tex is needed because they run so fast….there is more tension on the thread. My long arm machine ran best with 40 Tex. If run slower (stitches per second) a 30 weight was fine.
weight referred to the size of the thread or how many threads was required to equal a given weight. Aurifil is 50 weight, Bottom Line is 60. Standard Coats and Clark was/is 40. Some silk thread can be 80-100. For 50+ a standard 1/4” seam allowance is good. For 40- a scant 1/4” is needed.
Old 06-08-2023, 12:18 PM

Quick look; Gutterman cotton, Tex 20 wt 60, might work. The threads they offer seem to be geared to commercial machines that need a very strong (high Tex) thread. How about a different company?
Old 06-08-2023, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I want to order some cones of thread from Wawak but the weight is tex. I get so confused with these numbers. They use to sell Aurifil and the tex number for that was 7. Tex no 40 is 30 wt which is too thick for piecing. I guess I want someone to say buy_______ it's what I use.
I've been using this for piecing and I really like it for that purpose. It is finer than my 50wt cotton but strong. It's become my preferred piecing thread.

WAWAK Perform-X Poly Wrapped Poly Core Thread - Tex 24 - 6,000 Yds. - White
STOCK # PWC102W.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

Thanks Constantine63.!!!
The thread there is more economical by the cone . Aurifil is 2 ply so not a strong 50wt and thinner then a regular 50 wt. That was explained to me by a rep. Masterpiece use to be 2 ply but now is 3 ply to be stronger. Long staple is better quality then short staple. Poly is poly but the manufacturing is different for spun or filament Thread is a whole other world to quilting and sewing.