Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a good price? >

What is a good price?

What is a good price?

Old 11-24-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
At our Goodwill store, mens shirts are $3.99 and up. Also mens neckties are $1.99 each. So compared to the price of new fabric at local fabric store, I would rather get the new stuff. Besides with "bed bugs" in almost everything now, I don't trust the stuff from the Goodwill or any other thrift store.
Oh girl...now I have the creepy-crawlies. I had not thought about that before. I think I will do best to just be mindful of sales to get the best values. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by glenda5253
Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
At our Goodwill store, mens shirts are $3.99 and up. Also mens neckties are $1.99 each. So compared to the price of new fabric at local fabric store, I would rather get the new stuff. Besides with "bed bugs" in almost everything now, I don't trust the stuff from the Goodwill or any other thrift store.
Oh girl...now I have the creepy-crawlies. I had not thought about that before. I think I will do best to just be mindful of sales to get the best values. Thanks for the reminder.
LOL, y'all. Bring 'em home and chuck 'em right in the washer, then the dryer and if there were any critters, they done bit the dust by then. Hugs and smilesssss,
Old 11-24-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I don't know that prices here at St. Vincent are based on location. We're in a small town, very poor town - mostly retireees and I checked out the men's shirts. Prices were anywhere from $6.00 to $20.00. I figured I'd get more for my dollar at the LQS!!!!
DEFINITELY! The back of a large man's shirt is about one FQ. Two long sleeves, likewise. I don't think I get a full yard of usable fabric from a shirt, but I've never actually measured.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:19 PM

I have noticed the rapidly escalating prices of the clothes at Salvation Army and other national chain thrift stores also. I cannot imagine how they think people in today's economy can afford to pay new prices for used clothing. I'm sure their overhead has risen like everyone else's, but how can pricing things out of their customers' market help? I don't get their marketing concepts at all.
I can't afford to shop there, so I do my shopping in the local places that are more realistic and reasonable.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:25 PM

we have several thrift stores where I live. My "favorite" has shirts for $1.. all shirts, long sleeve, short sleeve, t-shirts, mens, womens, cotton, flannel, etc... all $1. I've found I can find unique fabrics by purchasing thrift store shirts than going to fabric stores. I had to have orange and white gingham check for a project and the only thing I could find was a poly/cotton blend so I went to my favorite shop. There were 3 different color orange/white cotton gighams!

I think at our Good Will men's dress shirts are $4.99 but I keep an eye on the clearance rack and on $1 day, I can get a mens button down for $1.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:56 PM

in answer to your question, WHAT IS A good price?
i guess it's what you're willing to pay, right???
Old 11-24-2010, 05:21 PM

I think one of my favorite buys at the thrift was a leopard print girl's skirt for 30 cents. Made it into a very soft pillow.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:46 PM

Check to see where your local Goodwill Outlet is ,they sell by the pound. Mind you, not the regular Goodwill retail store.... . I know there is one here in Oregon up in Hillsboro and there is also one here in Salem. Stuff that comes back from the stores, etc is just in large tubs and you have to search through but it can actually be kind of fun...
Old 11-24-2010, 05:56 PM

we have one of those about 45 minutes from here. I've never been to it ~ but I bet it is fun :)

Originally Posted by GypsyRse1
Check to see where your local Goodwill Outlet is ,they sell by the pound. Mind you, not the regular Goodwill retail store.... . I know there is one here in Oregon up in Hillsboro and there is also one here in Salem. Stuff that comes back from the stores, etc is just in large tubs and you have to search through but it can actually be kind of fun...
Old 11-24-2010, 06:47 PM

I used to visit a local church thrift shop & they got so many donations from their area that they'd have $1.00 a bag day. I've heard it's gone up, but even $5.00 a bag for all you can stuff in a big paper bag is pretty good! You can get quite a lot in a bag! The ladies used to ram it down when I thought I was done & send me back to get more.