Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a good walking foot brand? >

What is a good walking foot brand?

What is a good walking foot brand?

Old 07-25-2011, 03:48 PM

Hi - I have gone through 2 walking feet in the last 4 months. They were made of plastic, and when I put the walking foot guide in the slot (not a little hole), the plastic broke, and I can't figure out how to fix them, and the store won't take them back. I have heard that there are metal ones available, but don't know where to look. My machine is a Janome 4000 Memory Craft, and it is a low shank machine. Any help is really appreciated.
Terry
Old 07-25-2011, 03:50 PM

Go to your Janome dealer and get one intended for your machine. It is well worth it.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Go to your Janome dealer and get one intended for your machine. It is well worth it.
Thanks! I bought them from the Janome dealer though. I think I might try another Janome dealer a town away.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:49 PM

I looked at the Janome foot on their website. It looks just like my Singer foot. I don't understand what part is breaking - where it attaches to the shank or the arm that goes over the needle screw? Those parts are metal. Most of the foot is metal with a plastic case over it. Are you saying that yours is all plastic, no metal?
Old 07-25-2011, 04:52 PM

I purchased one from my LQS, a Babylock dealer and I hated it. However, even though I had purchased it from the dealer I had not bought a BL foot. I exchanged it and got a BL one and it is sooo much better and worth the price difference. My point is, although you bought it from a dealer was it a Janome foot or a generic?
Old 07-25-2011, 05:21 PM

I have a Janome foot on my Elna and it's holding up well. If those were Janome feet that broke that easily, I think I'd contact the company.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:26 PM

I purchased a Janome name brand walking foot from Kenssewingcenter.com just this past week. I had a generic universal and it broke after about 1 1/2 use, same thing the plastic broke. The Janome brand one that I got from Ken's is metal. It was $30 and it included shipping! It came about 3 days after ordering!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:59 AM

Thanks for that info...i need a new one too :!:
Old 07-26-2011, 04:16 AM

Are you getting the ones made for your machine or generic ones? I was tempted to order a generic one since the one for my mega quilter because it was over a hundred but was told that the generics aren't as good and don't last; I ordered the one made for it. I'd rather spend the money out once and be done with it. Mine for my kenmore/janome is plastic and metal and it works great. If you buy one for your machine then you could at least go to the company if the store won't back you.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

the good walking foot brand is the one that is made for your machine- which ever brand that may be.
i have a viking- my best brand walking foot is also a viking-
my daughter's machine is a white---yup you guessed it- the good walking foot for her machine is the white brand foot.
generic feet may work for a time- but ... not necessarily---sometimes a little savings winds up costing you lots more in the long run-