Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What happened here???? >

What happened here????

What happened here????

Old 05-20-2015, 09:02 AM

Boy, sure am glad I read this. I didn't realize there was a wrong and right side to warm and natural.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:23 AM

Yes, my local quilt shop was having this problem and thought that they had a bad batch of batting. That is when they learned that there is a right and wrong side to the batting when using W&N. This was many years ago, but foremost in my mind because that is my batting of choice.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:47 AM

your backing fabric looks "tight"which may have caused the problem. With dark tops/backing I do use black bat to be safe.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:45 AM

you learn something all the time. i did not know there was a right and wrong side to a batting. wow.......
Old 05-21-2015, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
you learn something all the time. i did not know there was a right and wrong side to a batting. wow.......
I believe it's only Warm and Natural batting that has a right and wrong side. This is because it is needlepunched through scrim.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:58 PM

This is what is called "pokies " and happens with longarm quilting. It happens to some extent with every quilt but really shows up because the light batting pokes through and is very visible on a dark backing. No tweeking of tension, or changing of needles will prevent it. The only solution is to use a black batt when you have a dark backing. Washing and drying may help somewhat.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
This is what is called "pokies " and happens with longarm quilting. It happens to some extent with every quilt but really shows up because the light batting pokes through and is very visible on a dark backing. No tweeking of tension, or changing of needles will prevent it. The only solution is to use a black batt when you have a dark backing. Washing and drying may help somewhat.
I had this happen recently...didn't matter which side I used...still pokies...it was with Hobbs...whist helped was to loosen the quilt top on the frame...tight backing fabric makes it worse...and also when I tightened the top tension it also seemed to help - lot...but I didn't discover this until I was almost finished...pokies sometimes go away after washing the quilt...
Old 05-22-2015, 06:29 AM

I've been told to use black batting for anything with a dark background. I bought my first one to use on the Jinny Beyer BOM I'm working on. I'd been warned by a very good friend on here about it. She'd had that happen to her. So sorry to hear it's happened to you too!