Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What have you learned >

What have you learned

What have you learned

Old 07-19-2020, 04:50 PM

I have learned, "there's no place like home". I have always enjoyed being at home, I love my home and the finishes I have put on it, but having to be home has given me a deeper appreciation for my home. With the usual events I attend during the summer all being cancelled, and not feeling sorry for myself about it, I am kinda glad I have been forced to slow down. I am enjoying my quilt studio, my garden, and my surroundings with peace in my heart. As far as what I have learned from quilting during this time, stippling on my long arm. I have had *time" to practice this summer, and once the heat is over, and the refreshing less humid air returns this fall, I plan to finish some flimsies I worked up last winter.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:06 AM

I have learned, that contrary to my husband's belief... have too much fabric.

Said fabric, helped to make many masks, and like several have said, I have tried many different patterns, and I am still learning as well.

That is feels good to be doing something productive when I am stressed and my depression hits... I have finished 2 projects and have 4 flimsies waiting for the next step.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-20-2020 at 03:21 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-20-2020, 03:16 AM

That I'm never going to make anything out of all of those less than 2 1/2" strips, so have bagged them all up and will offer them to anyone on the Freecycle group I belong too. And to make sure I don't change my mind, had SO store them somewhere out in the garage
Old 07-20-2020, 03:55 AM

It is nice to have the stash of fabric and supplies ready for projects. The LQS offered curb-side delivery and that works great for me too. I also learned how to pay for gas and groceries with a phone app. No need to swipe my card or touch the key-pad.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:29 AM

Was always a stay at home type since retirement from teaching. Love it just as much and I'm glad I held onto my stash for so long, as well as my mechanical machines. My neighbors have been kind and fun to be around.

I also learned how to disassemble my electronic machine when it froze up. It looked perfectly clean inside but needed to be oiled even though the manufacturer says needs no oiling. Watched Sewing Machine Repair Guy videos to help figure out my bearings had seized. Normally I would have taken it in but in these not so normal times, the waiting list for repair was months.

The machine works again, but don't know for how long. Will enjoy it as long as it lasts. Having maintained mechanical machines made the experience less intimidating.

Sewing without a timeline is way more enjoyable than trying to meet a deadline. Quilting is more fun on mechanical machines because they seem more powerful.

Common sense is seriously lacking in some, but others have a ton of human kindness that they put out to the world.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:48 AM

I have learned how much money we used to spend on eating out! And that I don't miss it because I like my own cooking best.

I learned how to quilt with rulers. I learned to create zippered bags from the 18 x 21 inch pieces that I practice my new quilting skills. (it's been a while since installing a zipper. had to find my zipper foot!)

I have had trouble focusing on starting a new quilt project or finishing the baby quilts that I had started. So, I added more rows to the baby quilt to make it full sized, and I'm gonna apply my new quilting skills, not just SID for me anymore!
Old 07-20-2020, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

Nothing has really changed in my lifestyle during the pandemic. My whole family quarantine together, grands too. We got to see each other as normal. Parents worked from home, no one was around the public. We still have family meals several times a week as normal. My only real miss was not being able to go to guild or the big quilt shows. I always go to Paducah, Houston, Tulsa, and a few others during the year. I also missed trips to Missouri Star. I guess what I have learned is never say no when you are able to go anywhere, make no excuse not to got, just go.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

After staying home for a solid 2-1/2 months. Having Granddaughter and Daughter shopping for me was much appreciated.

I learned I could go out and shop for myself. Grocery shopping is about all we do and I enjoy doing it.

Otherwise not much has changed for us. Getting out once a week makes me feel more normal.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:19 AM

I've learned to use my favorite fabrics, not to save them. I've learned to be happy I have my stash. I've learned I look forward to marketing. I've learned being perfect is not always the best solution. Sometimes relaxing standards whether it's sewing or house cleaning can make me happier.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

I can't really think of anything quilting related but I do like the slower pace. We all seem to be in a hurry 24/7. This has really slowed things down. I've loved having more time for my siblings, mostly calls,texts, emails etc. I try to focus on the positives and there are many if I take the time to look.