Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What I scored this morning

Yesterday on Freecycle someone listed a sewing machine. I emailed back and she delivered it this morning. It's a Morse Fotomatic III with almost all the attachments. It appears to be in mint condition.

Looking at this video on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEYm5Z9UCZg
    it appears that this machine will be great for quilting. I wanted something that wouldn't choke up with a thick quilt sandwich. If this machine can sew three layers of leather, then it shouldn't have any problem with a quilt sandwich.

wow, great!! love Freecycle!!

Blog Entries
    Lucky u!!!!!

np3
    Blog Entries
    Great score!

np3
    Blog Entries
    Great score!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Yes, great score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have fun :D:D

Banned
    Blog Entries
    awesome!

I own a vintage Morse. Awesome machines!

Blog Entries
    Wow, your Freecycle delivers? Anywho, congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Anything I need to know? I've been going over the manual and it looks pretty straightforward. I like that it has two separate plates - one for straight stitch and one for zigzag.

It came without a case, can I buy one anywhere? I have a cabinet to put it in, but in case I wanted to take it to a class, where would I find the case?

Quote Originally Posted by catmcclure
    It's a Morse Fotomatic III with almost all the attachments. It appears to be in mint condition.

it appears that this machine will be great for quilting.
    AWESOME!!! That is my newest addiction....the vintage Japanese models. There is a Yahoo group for those types of vintage machines.
    It's called called 'vintagejapansewingmachines'.

I don't have a Morse, yet, but I have several of the vintage Brother machines. They come in all kinds of really cool colors.

I enjoy watching Tonysmoke's video's. She does a good job at showing how lots of the different models work. Someday I will probably buy a machine from her, if the right one comes along
    :mrgreen:

Are you familiar with the Vintage sewing machine section on this forum? You will find lots of information and may even find someone willing to share a copy of their manual with you.

Anything I need to know? I've been going over the manual and it looks pretty straightforward. I like that it has two separate plates - one for straight stitch and one for zigzag.

It came without a case, can I buy one anywhere? I have a cabinet to put it in, but in case I wanted to take it to a class, where would I find the case?
    Neat. My Morse didn't come with a straight stitch, so I only have the zig zag plate. Though, I've not really needed the straight stitch one as it's done fine without.

If you measure the machine you should be able to find a case that will fit. Do you have a sewing machine repair place local? You can ask there. Just be sure to try and get an older case with hinges so your machine can lock in to it and not shift around causing paint and machine damage. The newer, universal cases you now see at big box stores are for new machines and lack these peg hinges. If you look on the back of your machine you'll see where the pegs of the table attach to the machine. They look the same in the case. I bought one at my repair store for like $15....

Wow, I never heard of Freecycle until just now ... And just joined the group in my area! Thanks for the post!!

Are you sure you would want to take it to class? :shock:
    My vintage Japanese models weigh about 300 lbs....lol

Yesterday on Freecycle someone listed a sewing machine. I emailed back and she delivered it this morning. It's a Morse Fotomatic III with almost all the attachments. It appears to be in mint condition.

it appears that this machine will be great for quilting. I wanted something that wouldn't choke up with a thick quilt sandwich. If this machine can sew three layers of leather, then it shouldn't have any problem with a quilt sandwich.
    WTG! And she delivered?

I got a box full of beautiful porcelain dolls on Freecycle last year. Most were in mint condition.

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyUpGo
    Wow, I never heard of Freecycle until just now ... And just joined the group in my area! Thanks for the post!!

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    Are you familiar with the Vintage sewing machine section on this forum? You will find lots of information and may even find someone willing to share a copy of their manual with you.
    Thanks for all the info, I'll check these out. Thankfully, the machine came with the original manual (including a repair bill from 1972). I'm hoping since it is a short shank machine that the feet I have for my Brother/Janome machines will work on this one.

I personally love Japanese machines.

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyUpGo
    It's the greatest. There's also another group in the San Francisco area that recycles fabric. There are a lot of designers that have leftover fabric - silks, upholstery fabrics, just whatever. The group picks up the fabrics and once a month they have a Bag event. You take a large bag, fill it up with whatever you want, and then make a donation - the suggested donation for a large (about 30 qt bag) is $20.