Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I see as a Longarm Quilter >

What I see as a Longarm Quilter

What I see as a Longarm Quilter

Old 08-05-2012, 04:27 AM

From one longarmer to another,,,, WELL SAID!
Old 08-05-2012, 04:28 AM

No argument here! So far I've only done my own quilts, however, one of the members on this board has a quilt in route for me to quilt. My first customer quilt! But, from what I've done so far, & seeing other quilts on other frames, I know of what you speak to be the truth. I know that from quilting on my longarm I've become more conscientious of my own quilting. Your tips & suggestions are right on!
Old 08-05-2012, 04:47 AM

Well stated. We all need to make the best possible top whether we send it out or quilt it ourselves. You have provided great quidelines
Old 08-05-2012, 05:10 AM

Your info is great. I am new to longarming & have my own machine. I am only on my 7th quilt, but I am already seeing what you are talking about with the seams & wavy borders. I am very careful to get my borders on straight with no extra inches anywhere & the last two have had issues. Not bad...maybe an extra inch in 70 inches, but enough to get my attention. After all, I thought I had it perfect. lol Another thing I have found....the outside seams on the quilt top really need to be backstitched. I have had more than one that wanted to open up. Because I am a semi-perfectionist, I have been cutting my borders 1 to 2 inches wider to allow for a seam disruption, but I know that most piecers wouldn't even think of that. I am lucky. It's my long arm & my quilt. I can do what I want with it.

Another thing.... originally when I started piecing, I was very careful to make sure that a seam was ironed one direction all the way. Well, I have done a couple of quilt tops with a lot of seams & have found that if the seam turns it isn't as dramatic a difference as I thought it would be. And sometimes, you have to do it! For me that turn just seems to quilt right in & leave no problems. After some of these comments, I know that if I do a Kaleidoscope quilt, I will free motion all of it, probably making the center of these seam intensive blocks as a no-sew zone...

FYI...being from the Deep South, I am a big fan of Warm & Natural batting. It is light weight, relatively easy to find & seems to "shrink" (I read the stuff about the stretching of the fabric..that was very interesting.) the same as the fabrics & the overall quilting looks good, even if a beginner does it. That slight poofiness it has does hide a multitude of sins. I have found that if I need a seam in the backing, I do try to do it offcenter, that way it doesn't compete with a block seam that might be right down the middle. I use the 1/2 inch seam & iron my seams open. There is so much to learn about long arm quilting that has nothing to do with the long arm. I am grateful for all these posts about the do's & don'ts & what works & what doesn't. Keep it up!!!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:16 AM

Way to go, Crashnquilt---very well said.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:27 AM

I, for one, found this to be very informative and reasonable. Sounds like an EXPERT - as in, "been there done that"! Thank you for climbing up on that soapbox.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:43 AM

A question - If a back MUST be pieced, would a pieced back with HORIZONTAL seams (i.e. parallel to the poles) be a better layout for the LAQer?
Old 08-05-2012, 05:48 AM

Thank you for this very informative post! I usually quilt my own tops on my DSM - but I see this as valuable information for anyone. I may send out a top to a LArmer in the future - and it is good to be aware of what I can do to make my top better and less likely to cause problems. Very interesting about fabric and how it is made. Like and bookmarked!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:51 AM

Thanks for all the interesting information on fabric behavior. Now that I know, I will watch out for the above mentioned pitfalls.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

Great article! Thanks for sharing!!