Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was I thinking? >

What was I thinking?

What was I thinking?

Old 02-16-2011, 04:10 AM

One of my best friends found some antique quilt blocks in her attic and wants me to make a quilt out of them for her daughter's hs graduation present. However, they are the ugliest blocks you have ever seen! They are hand pieced from shirtings and small scale gingham checks. I said I would do it before I saw the blocks. They are not square, most have no seam allowance, but most of all they are ugly. I can't find any background fabric that looks good and I'm sorry I said I would do this. Any ideas? I would post pictures of them but I don't know how.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:25 AM

If this person is really a best friend, don't you feel comfortable explaining the situation..that the pieces are not suitable for a quality quilt top. Maybe offer to make a quilt with different fabrics?
Old 02-16-2011, 04:27 AM
Banned

Just tell you friend that now that you have seen the blocks, you realize why the were consigned to the attic and not used. Tell her it would be impossible to square them up and with no seam allowance, the can't be sewn together properly. No need to mention their lack of beauty! Then give them back to her with a hug and your sincere regrets. And remember this for the future! LOL
Old 02-16-2011, 04:37 AM

You could square them up as best as you can and add a border around each square so that they all end up equal. Then do a regular patchwork type quilt. If those are blocks created by a long ago family member then I don't think she'll care if everything is not perfectly matched but wanting it more as a memory for her daughter. I don't know what colors there are but it shouldn't take too much trouble to go to a fabric store with the blocks and find coordinating fabrics. Look at it as a challenge of your creativity for your friend. Also remember back in the day those were probably lovely fabrics.

Just remember next time, to know everything you can before you promise to make someone a quilt so you are not frustrated by your decision. Now that you're committed to doing this just enjoy the process and do the best you can. Or if you're comfortable enough with you friend tell her it was more that you realized and feel you cannot do justice to her antique blocks. If she's a true friend she will understand.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:56 AM

She probably wants her daughter to have a memento made from ancestor's work. How about suggesting she have some of the blocks framed.

If she wants a quilt could you recreate the blocks using repro fabrics in similar colors - Wasn't that what Maggie did in the Elm Street Quilter's book Circle Of Quilters
Old 02-16-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by mommamac
She probably wants her daughter to have a memento made from ancestor's work. How about suggesting she have some of the blocks framed.

If she wants a quilt could you recreate the blocks using repro fabrics in similar colors - Wasn't that what Maggie did in the Elm Street Quilter's book Circle Of Quilters
This sounds like the best idea to me, also. As for background fabric--plain white or off white, maybe even muslin. If framed, even the blocks without a seam allowance will be ok if they are mounted to a backing and covered with glass. No shifting and it will never be washed so it won't fray.