Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was I thinking? >

What was I thinking?

What was I thinking?

Old 12-13-2011, 04:21 AM
Pds

Get some really cute boxes (or containers)---perhaps something that can be used---and put in an "IOU" for this year. If you have fabric---I would also include little swatches (unless you think you might change your mind). WA--LA you have still kept your promise AND saved your sanity for better days!

Good luck!
Old 12-13-2011, 05:38 AM

Been there, done that. Made 3 quilts quickly for 3 DGD but had trouble getting the other 2 done for 2 DGS. Took me 3 years to finish the quilts and by then the 2 boy quilts were outgrown. Had to start over and complete 2 quilts. Finally got them all done last year. I'll never do that again!!
Sue
Old 12-13-2011, 05:44 AM

Here is a tutorial showing how to do a zippered top tote: you can adapt the instructions, I hope, to get it done:

http://sewing.about.com/od/bagstotes...ebagzipper.htm
Old 12-13-2011, 05:50 AM

I am right there with you. I have 7 grandchildren and a g'grandchild and was making quilts for all of them. I started last February, then had to put that on hold for about 3 months while I helped my son with his wedding. So I got all but one peaced and my g'granddaughters almost completed, just need binding. At Thanksgiving I decided it was a 2 year project not a one year. So you can do the same with your kids.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:51 AM

Boy, you are as busy as me. Where does the time Go?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
You mentioned making pillows. Can you do a pillow for each of the quilt patterns you plan to do and send those with a note that a quilt will follow?
Or even a pillow case out of the main fabric if you have enough. I sympathize. I was doing my annual "bake-off" last week which is what I do for gifts and telling myself that 'next year' I have to start earlier and make things that will keep until the holidays. I used to do jams and pickles - might have to take that up again.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by gellybean402 View Post
The zipper can be opened on either end and does not come apart on either end. I know I need to make an extra piece of fabric for both sides of the zipper and add it to the each top part of the lining, but I don't know how to attach the entire top of the lining with the zipper installed to the top part of the bag? Since the zipper doesn't come apart, it makes it more difficult. I hope you all understand what I am trying to explain. The zipper is a purse zipper.
I've never done a 2 way zipper, but they are installed the same way a 1 way zipper is installed, just with 2 pulls going in opposite directions. I like using coil zippers because they come apart & you can slip the pulls on them after they are sewn into the fabric. If it's too difficult to figure out I suggest getting a coil zipper & make life easier! (I get mine from Seattle Fabrics - but they don't have many colors to choose from)

The tute on the recessed bag is a good one; if the zipper is for the top of the bag, then you'll see that by cutting off some fabric from the top of the bag & sewing the cut off pieces to the zipper, it will eliminate confusion because the zipper didn't come apart. (you then sew the completed zipper piece into the lining & the bag after the zipper is in - easy!) I didn't particularly like all the space at the top of the bag - they used about 4 inches or so, so I just cut off about an inch instead - it turned out really nice without increasing the width of the bag.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:00 AM

I would try this web site...http://www.nancyziemantv.com/sewing-videos....she has done many shows on purse and tote making. She did one series on how to update remade totes and I believe there was one where she installed a purse zipper into a pre-done bag. Also she did three shows on totes similar to the bow tuck and they had zippers. She does not try to encase the zipper in a seam but covers a raw edge seam with ribbon...much easier.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:16 AM

I got overly ambitious and made 6 quilts - 3 for Christmas and 3 for Chanukah. Two of them I hand quilted. All was well until the time came to bind them and now I may have to stay up very late tonight to finish. Tomorrow is my last day at work and I leave for Israel Thursday!!! I will be sewing on binding on the plane if I can get the needle through security!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:20 AM

Oh my, wish I could help you out but Maine is a bit far away. You will finish everything as you can. The kids will be happy knowing something is coming their way.