Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I want from my online fabric store is ..... >

What I want from my online fabric store is .....

What I want from my online fabric store is .....

Old 02-04-2011, 10:35 AM

Was browsing at lunch today and getting frustrated. Decided to start a list of what I want from an online fabric store.

1) All fabrics should should show at least one full repeat of the print. If the repeat is so large that you have to stand 5' away - spare the dime and include a second photo that has a close up of one section.

2) Tell us the size of the repeat so we know how much to buy.

3) Printed fabrics should be shown with a ruler, or some identifyable object so that size of print can be determined.

4) Please don't insult us by listing remnants as "on sale" - 1/2 yard available for $4.50. Quilters can do math.

So what's on your list???
Old 02-04-2011, 10:39 AM

Show the whole charm pack, layer cake or jelly roll. I've found several sites that only show you the piece on top. Then you have to take the collection name and hunt it up on the manufacturer's web site to see if you like enough pieces to buy it.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:40 AM

I agree with you. Sometimes the one on top is ugly but the rest might be nice. Its a crap shoot to order them.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:41 AM

Once you put an item in your cart, to be allowed to click it again for a close-up. Even better, a design wall-type capability.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:42 AM

P.S. Who has the contacts to send this thread to quilt shops out there? Surely we can send it to more than one at a time ...
Old 02-04-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
P.S. Who has the contacts to send this thread to quilt shops out there? Surely we can send it to more than one at a time ...
We've got a couple of shops right here on the board. I'll bet they are watching as soon as they see the title.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

I really appreciate how some of the sites advertise their fabric. I have seen yard sticks laying across some so you can see a repeat. Rulers across the bottom of pictures. Seeing a coin laying on the fabric helps with all over prints too.
One site layed a tape measure across the scanner bed on top of the fabric :D

With online shopping becoming a bigger and bigger business, Maybe it is time that the owners upgrade their pictures/advertising descriptions for us :wink: AND it would cut down on emails and phone calls asking for this info :D:D:D

I agree with all the above and would add border prints. Often they only show a small portion of these, not the whole width of fabric.

If there was more information available, I will be more apt to buy what I come across when shopping. Not knowing, unless it is one BIG sale and I can probably use it for another project, I usually just pass it by :D:D:D
Old 02-04-2011, 11:08 AM

Totally agree.....Love it when they use the marketing technique of "on sale" for $4.50 a half yard...PUHLEEZ........ :)

Have a great one!

Sandi
Old 02-04-2011, 11:44 AM

I agree with dog house mom. I have been wanting to do a obw but when you look at fabric on-line it is to hard to tell if that fabric will work.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Show the whole charm pack, layer cake or jelly roll. I've found several sites that only show you the piece on top. Then you have to take the collection name and hunt it up on the manufacturer's web site to see if you like enough pieces to buy it.
I agree with this one wholeheartedly! Plus they don't always tell you how many are in the collection. I have received them with anywhere from 18 to 42. It would help a bunch to know how many in the pack and if there are repeats. Also I really appreciate stores that give you the option of seeing other fabric in the collection. Having said that, most of my online shopping has been great.