Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What if I want to cut fabric along the selvage to get the lengthwise design? >

What if I want to cut fabric along the selvage to get the lengthwise design?

What if I want to cut fabric along the selvage to get the lengthwise design?

Old 11-03-2020, 07:15 AM

Default What if I want to cut fabric along the selvage to get the lengthwise design?

Ladies and gents, I need help. I have noticed that a lot of fabrics have lengthwise designs which confounds me bc when I cut fabric for quilting, I do it from selvage to selvage. So then I just end up chopping up the design and not getting the lengthwise design I’m looking for. Is it me? Am I doing it wrong? And more importantly, if it’s quilting cotton, why don’t companies make the fabric design going across from selvage to selvage so you can use it that way? Am I really confused??

Last edited by littledentist; 11-03-2020 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:21 AM

I don't know why fabric is printed that way bur it sure is frustrating. Maybe because if used for clothing it makes sense for it to be that way?
Old 11-03-2020, 07:29 AM

You can cut your fabrics on the length of grain if you choose, just remember there won't be as much "stretch" because of the way the fabric is woven.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:29 AM

I agree. I’m tempted to cut it the way it’s seems like it was meant to be cut but then perhaps my quilt will be wonky. I’ve seen this a lot with fabrics, like wood grain designs, that clearly are meant for quilting. 😩
Old 11-03-2020, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

Doesn't make any difference if cutting selvage to selvage or lengthwise to me. Manufactures print the fabric however will be most economical. Designers work with the manufactures guidelines.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes you just have to cut lengthwise instead of crosswise on fabric. I sometimes cut extra long lengthwise strips for borders so I can get them in one piece without seams. You own the fabric so cut it the best way that it works for your quilt.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:12 AM

If you want the design going lengthwise, you may cut the fabric lengthwise. The technique is the same as cutting width-wise. I trim my edges the normal way selvage to selvage, then re-orient the fabric and cut the strips lengthwise.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:17 AM

The warp fibers that go lengthwise are stronger than the weft fibers that go crosswise, so thimblebug6000 was right when she said lengthwise cuts will have less stretch. Still, there will probably be enough quilting to stabilize the fabric and less stretch won't matter. I use all kinds of fabric, cut in any direction on art quilts and haven't found that it matters. And I'm particular.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

I wash my fabrics before cutting them - I like to get any shrinkage out of the way -

Generally speaking, there is less stretch on the lengthwise grain (warp fibers/threads) of woven fabrics than the crosswise grain (weft fibers/threads).

But, also generally speaking, for most quilt blocks it does not matter if the piece is laid on the lengthwise grain or crosswise grain.

I usually make my first cut on the lengthwise grain - because that way I am more apt to have at least two edges of the piece on the straight of grain.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:50 AM

I cut length of fabric all the time especially for borders. Never any issues.