Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I've learned about Quilting.... >

What I've learned about Quilting....

What I've learned about Quilting....

Old 04-26-2013, 07:16 AM

Default Cooking Tray for Smoothing Backing????

Originally Posted by Puddin57 View Post
I've learned some pretty cool ideas since I started to read this board...what is the most unique thing you've discovered.... for me it was the difference between ironing and pressing OR maybe using a cookie tray to smooth out the quilt backing (I don't have the recommended boards, but the cookie sheet worked pretty well, especially with the Elmers glue method and polyester batting) OR I don't have to "speed sew", I can go as slowly as I want because there is no such thing as the "Quilting Police"
I did a quick search on this site and came up with nothing...just what is the cooking tray method of smoothing out the backing?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:26 AM

to know i'm a quilter even if i don't long-arm
Old 04-26-2013, 07:39 AM

One thing I have learned is that the most important thing about quilting is to enjoy the process and practice, practice, practice!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:37 AM

Learning how to baste quilts with Elmer's. Glue sticks are good for piecing when needed.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

I have learned so many things since I found the QB, and that there is more than one way to do anything with quilting. Quilters really are some of the nicest, most caring and giving people in the world. I'm not sure what I would do if I couldn't quilt as I've tried dozens of other crafts, but I always come back to quilting. It's a great lifetime hobby as well as a way to work through problems, quilting or otherwise.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:12 AM

I have learned that this board is very addictive and I have to check in with all you quilter friends before I start my day!

Things I have learned: that using Washable Elmer's glue is fantastic, learned how to finally make that darn quilter's knot, if it pleases me then it is okay, that there are more quilts that I want to do than I have time to do, that I have friend's available to help me, that with U-tube tutorials and this board I am not afraid to try any pattern, that quilt police are not welcome and the latest is the use of a cookie sheet or rolling pin when sandwiching a quilt with glue.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I had 4 quilts planned. Figured I'd make them then go on to another hobby.
Hahahahaha That is so funny! I also thought I would make a couple and go on to another hobby. It's been over 25 years and I'm still loving it and no where near finished with this hobby.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:53 AM

Because I've been using a rolling pin for a number of years (more than I want to admit to), I would suggest putting a sheet of wax paper between the rolling pin and the quilt sandwich -- reason, even though I wash my rolling pin, I don't immerse it in hot sudsy water. Your rolling pin could have "grease" or "oil", etc. -- You don't want to transfer this to your quilt! I thing I would consider buying a "new" separate rolling pin for using on quilts! LOL Just a thought! "Grease Spots" can be the very devil to get out!

Jeanette Frantz
Old 04-26-2013, 12:36 PM

I am hoping to come back to Poland after our visit to the states with some of that completely washable (washes out) school glue.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Digitabulist View Post
I did a quick search on this site and came up with nothing...just what is the cooking tray method of smoothing out the backing?
the cookie sheet one is probably one I discovered on my own. Whatever I make has been too big for the floor, so I've had to use the dining room table and I found that pressing down on a cookie sheet when using the Elmer's glue method helped me. Smoothing with my hands worked to some extent, but the glue and the polyester filling didn't really come in contact unless I used the cookie sheet, just like an iron - but without the heat, which would melt the polyester filling - it works for me!