Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of batting do you use >

What kind of batting do you use

What kind of batting do you use

Old 04-22-2018, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

Question What kind of batting do you use

when the background fabric of a top is white? I just made a summer type quilt with this pattern:
http://quiltingdigest.com/strippy-py...heerful-quilt/

I love the result, but this is the first time I've used white fabric as the background. I decided the backing fabric needs to be white too so the color doesn't bleed through the batting.

Meanwhile, I've previewed two battings between the top and backing: Hobbs heirloom wool, and Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon cotton. It's a summer quilt, so I want it to be light in weight and soft. Anyway, I think I need to go with the MM batting because it is bleached white. The "natural" color of the wool batting seems to dull down the white fabrics.

I've used MM before and it would be fine in this quilt, I think. It's thin, but the drape is great, and I know from experience it gets very soft over time. I'm wondering if Quilter's Dream cotton would be more opaque since it is needlepunched. I've never used QD so would have to order some.

Any other options?
Old 04-22-2018, 11:43 PM

I've used a lot of battings but I always return to quilters dream, "request". I'm now either "biased" or "experienced" but I'm done trying out new battings. So don't ask me. I will always say Quilters Dream "request" in white or natural.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:07 AM
Power Poster

I love Quilters Dream battings, request is quite lightweight and the white is very white.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

I have used Warm and Natural for everything. There is also a Warm and White, but I rarely have really light colors in my quilts.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

I use Warm & White (cotton) and Soft & Bright (poly), both from the Warm Company.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:11 AM

I would use Matilda's Own bamboo. My longarm studio carries it, and it seems perfect for your quilt - lightweight and white, but opaque, and it has incredible drape after you wash it. I used it one day when I forgot to bring my own batting, and it's now at the top of my list, especially when the quilt has a white background.

The biggest problem is that it is hard to find in North America (it's made in Australia), but if you stumble across some I would suggest giving it a try.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:26 AM

I like Warm and White in everything except large quilts. Recently I tried Warm and Bright in Polyester and loved it too. It's not as heavy but it is springier than the Warm and White.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:29 AM

I pretty much use the Hobbs 80/20 with most of my quilts, even the ones with white backgrounds. I've never tried the white or black battings as the 80/20 works great for me.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:55 AM

Quilter's Dream Request is made for summer quilts, it's a lightweight white batting. I use it a lot because I live in the south.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:24 PM

Another Quilter's Dream lover here. I use various weights according to my project. When I was buying batting for a quilt with lots of white, I took it with me the shop to try it out and could not see a difference between the white and natural batting behind the top. So decided not to worry about that. But if you need to order Quilter's Dream, they do have white, so might as well use it. I have used their wool in two quilts and really like that also. So many choices!