Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What kind of batting for Pot Holders

I love the way people say use "100% cotton batting and when you go to try and find some it's so hard there are all kinds of products out there. I have been searching for it and all I get are products that are not 100% cotton but a mixture of some poly junk. also a link to a source or a pic of a 100% product would be helpful.
    STILL SEARCHING ONLINE AND FRUSTRATED !!
    live in a small town with only a crappy sewing dept. at walmart so must do shopping online.
    Last edited by lyjg47; 10-06-2014 at 05:07 PM.

I've tried with and without Insulbrite, anywhere from 1 to 3 layers of batting. My favorite is 1 layer Insulbrite and 1 layer cotton batting.

Honestly I can't tell, once the potholder is made, which side is the "shiny" side of the Insulbrite. I don't mark them in any way so I can't keep track, and they work just as well one way as they do the other so I don't worry about it. I figure if I can't tell...it must not really matter!

Anybody else who makes potholders w/Insulbrite - can you tell which "way" they go once they're made?

Quote Originally Posted by lyjg47 View Post
    I love the way people say use "100% cotton batting and when you go to try and find some it's so hard there are all kinds of products out there. I have been searching for it and all I get are products that are not 100% cotton but a mixture of some poly junk. also a link to a source or a pic of a 100% product would be helpful.
    STILL SEARCHING ONLINE AND FRUSTRATED !!
    live in a small town with only a crappy sewing dept. at walmart so must do shopping online.
    Really? I have no trouble finding 100% cotton batting - are you in the US? Warm & Natural/Warm & White is one - you can buy it online all over, including at Amazon. Pellon makes "Nature's Touch" which is 100% cotton and is carried at Joann's; it often goes on sale for about $15 for queen size.

Some links for you:

Joann's: http://www.joann.com/pellon-queen-si.../10993699.html
    Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...0%26%20natural
    Fabric. com: https://www.fabric.com/quilting-fabr...?Source=Header (They carry warm & natural; also Quilter's Dream 100% cotton)

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I make a lot of potholders with Insulbright and have never used it exposed. It is always sandwiched between layers of fabric. It depends on the potholder design as to whether I use warm and natural along with the insulbright. Sometimes it is just the insulbright with several layers of fabric. I don't pay any attention to front or back. I figure whoever uses a potholder is going to grab it and use it without paying attention to front or back. I've never had any problems or complaints.

Insulbrite and a layer of cotton batting make great pot holders. froggyintexas

Blog Entries
    I make my potholders with quilt blocks so there's definately a front and back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2