Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What kind of batting?

What kind of batting?

What kind of polyester batting do you hand quilters prefer? I have looked at Tuscany by Hobbs and Soft and Bright.

I like Soft and Bright for machine quilting, but I think it would be awfully thick for hand work. It seems to keep getting thicker as you work on it!
    Margaret F

I don't do polyester and I don't hand quilt, so my opinion is probably worthless, but I like Warm & Natural or Warm & White. Being from the Deep South, it suits my needs for a lightweight but slightly warm quilt.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I've used soft and bright forever, it's my go-to batting. Holds up beautifully and I think things dry more quickly in the dryer with it. My kids have quilts that are ten years old with it still going strong. I don't hand quilt though and it does have a scrim FYI. I've also played with Quilters Dream Green which is poly, it had a beautiful hand but it's too thin for me and way out of my price range.

QuiltBaer, I hand quilt and usually use the Tuscany silk but on occasion have used the Tuscany poly. The Tuscany poly does have a nice soft drape and is easy to hand quilt. I've never used the soft & bright so I can't comment on that.

Have no experience with the batting you mention. I hand quilt and use W&N all the time. I personally like a heavy quilt/blanket but want the breathability of natural fabrics. Warm & Natural fits that bill for me.