Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What kind of material to wrap fabric and other ??? >
  • What kind of material to wrap fabric and other ???

• What kind of material to wrap fabric and other ???

Old 03-25-2011, 09:14 AM

I have been following (but not closely enough) the past few weeks those who have been organizing fabrics by wrapping them around some type of cardboard/misc. material. What has been found to be the best type to hold up over time? What is the most economical? Do some types crumble within? i.e. foam core does it crumble from the inside? Where to purchase? Do you also wrap fat quarters and obese 1/8's? How many yards can one get on a board? Thanks much, Sue
    Old 03-25-2011, 09:15 AM

M.I.Late is selling some! :thumbup:
    Old 03-25-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    M.I.Late is selling some! :thumbup:
    What type do you have ? MISC? Please answer my questions so that I know more about it. Thank you very much. Sue
    Old 03-25-2011, 09:26 AM

I don't use the boards for anything less than 2 yards. One yard cuts and smaller are folded so they fit in drawers. I have one dresser that is nothing but fat quarters and another dresser that has half yard and yard cuts.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-174692.jpe  
    Old 03-25-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by SewinSue
    I have been following (but not closely enough) the past few weeks those who have been organizing fabrics by wrapping them around some type of cardboard/misc. material. What has been found to be the best type to hold up over time? What is the most economical? Do some types crumble within? i.e. foam core does it crumble from the inside? Where to purchase? Do you also wrap fat quarters and obese 1/8's? How many yards can one get on a board? Thanks much, Sue
    You can use anything that is acid free. Some of the ladies use acid free comic book backing boards. I went the expensive way and went to the Polar Notions website. There are already several threads about this on the message board.

I have wrapped over 5 yards on one board without any problem. There are also smaller boards for fat quarters, which would probably work for fat eighths, too.

Instead of spending a lot for clips like those on the Polar Notions website, I just got large vinyl coated paper clips at the office supply store.

One of my friends didn't use any kind of boards. She just folded her fabric so that it was 11" wide, then wrapped it around her 12-1/2 square ruler. When the fabric was all wrapped, she slid the ruler out. Then she just stacked the fabrics according to color. That way, there's no cost at all.

I just leave my fat quarters folded and placed on edge in a drawer so that I can see them all.
    Old 03-25-2011, 10:16 AM

i use coroplast i get it at a sign store it is acid free and does not deteriorate i can usually get it for 15$ to 20$ for a 4 foot by 8 foot sheet