Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of sewing cabinet? >

What kind of sewing cabinet?

What kind of sewing cabinet?

Old 08-29-2010, 01:35 PM

I have decided that I want, need, absolutely have to have a cabinet for my sewing machine. The machine I have is a Viking Sapphire 870 quilt. It is currently sitting and being used on a fold up table. For piecing that is fine, but for quilting...to much drag over the hump. So my question is: Can you tell me the name of a good cabinet that will make a flat bed and not break the bank? I have looked online, so many choices. It seems most of them are huge and expensive.
I can't wait to see your ideas and suggestions.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:40 PM

My suggestion is look on CL. I frequently see people getting rid of sewing cabinets because they're moving, upgrading etc. I love, love my new and hugely expensive Koala, but there are some nice bargains locally if you're patient for one to pop up.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:57 PM

check out HSN.com. They have some nice sewing cabinets.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:06 PM

If you or someone you know someone is handy, you might want to try cutting a hole in a sturdy table and rigging somethin up underneath to hold your machine. I'm not familiar with your machine, but if the bed is sloping like my pfaff, then I think there might be some kind of insert you can get to level it off with the table top. I hope you can get the idea from my explanation :roll: When (if) I ever get my sewing room set up, I'm going to try to make my own. Here's something to watch for in any event..Make sure the business end of your machine is mostly centered to you when you sit with your legs under the table. It seems to me many of the table manufacturers center the machine over the knee hole, forcing you to work to your left instead of directly over your work. My back says ouch :!:
Old 08-29-2010, 02:08 PM

Oh yeah...Overstock.com has them too :-)
Old 08-29-2010, 03:53 PM

Up until you can find one that's in your price range you might try looking up how to make your own out of vinyl and foam insulation. Very inexpensive and I hear it works well. Someone posted a link here once but I don't know where to find it.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:19 PM

Arrow cabinets are really nice and relatively inexpensive compared to other brands. You can find them at AllBrands and on ebay - a lot of times with free shipping. I have had two in the past and loved them. Only have a Horn now because I bought an Ellisimo and needed the larger space and heavy duty lift. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:26 PM

Try posting on CL what you are looking for, you never know someone may have one they've been meaning to list and your "looking for" ad may be what they need to act. Also depending on what you're willing to spend you may want to talk to a local self employed cabinet maker. Having someone making exactly what you need is great and he/she can buy the lift mechanism online if they aren't familiar with it. My DH made mine and built-ins in my sewing studio. He is awesome!
Old 08-29-2010, 06:13 PM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-46536-1.htm

Here is the link for the table with a hole cut for the machine and another pic of the FMQ platform she made. Hope it helps.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:45 PM

at one time my h took adesk that had drawers on both sides cut out in middle over middle drawer was really nice soldit tofreind still has it , i have tried getting it back i will not tell you what she said