Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of starch/sizing do you like to use? >

What kind of starch/sizing do you like to use?

What kind of starch/sizing do you like to use?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:07 AM

Are any of these liquid starches available in Canada? In the last couple of months, I bet I've checked at least 10 grocery stores including Walmart and the only starch that I've found is Easy On Spray starch in a blue can at $2.49 in a grocery store right near the army base. I guess they have to starch and press their dress uniforms. I can buy Best Press at $9.99 for a small bottle. We have a Mennonite grocery store about 30 miles away and when I asked there she asked me if I wanted to iron my husband's go to the meeting shirt or bake cookies? They usually have starch but were out. I guess I'll keep trying.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:26 AM

I really like Mary Ellen's Best Press as well. I just have to use unscented as I'm allergic to most fragrances so hesitant to try any of their scented versions.

Cheers, K
Old 06-08-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Crickett Sweet
Where do you get this?
If you're asking about the Faultless Heavy Starch, I got mine at WalMart. It's probably available at most grocery stores, some hardware and building improvement stores and I just saw it on Google at the Dollar Tree for only ONE DOLLAR for a 22 oz can. Best price I've seen yet. You can even order it by the case lot of 12 cans for $12.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:48 AM

I would hesitate on using cornstarch as it could attrack bugs and things that could eat into your fabric.
I wash all my fabric, then store it until ready for use. I then will use starch only if the fabric does not have body to it. Niagra is good. Mary Ellen's is good but pricey.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by sewingladydi
You can make your own starch with cornstarch from the grocery store. Yep, the same stuff you use in the kitchen to thicken sauces or gravy. Just mix up and put in a spray bottle. The only downside is you have to store in frig (because you aren't putting any preservatives in it)and if I don't use up, I mix a new batch weekly.

But it is dirt cheap!!
what kind of ratio's do yo use sewinglady? 1/2 and 1/2 of what :?:
Old 06-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Hi Guys,

I have never heard of powdered starch.... I have only ever seen and used spray.... can somebody explain how I use powdered starch.

Hugs

Caroline
Old 06-08-2010, 02:24 PM

I make my own pressing spray that compares to MaryEllen's pressing spray..

2 cups of distilled water
2 oz VODKA
1 or 2 TBSP liquid starch
a few drops of essential oils (I like lavandar)
Mix in a spray bottle and enjoy the fragrance while pressing.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:39 PM

Hey Craftybear, where do you look for the Lavender scented starch? In the fabric area or the food area with the soaps etc.?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:37 PM

Mary Ellen's gets my vote.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shelbie
Are any of these liquid starches available in Canada? In the last couple of months, I bet I've checked at least 10 grocery stores including Walmart and the only starch that I've found is Easy On Spray starch in a blue can at $2.49 in a grocery store right near the army base. I guess they have to starch and press their dress uniforms. I can buy Best Press at $9.99 for a small bottle. We have a Mennonite grocery store about 30 miles away and when I asked there she asked me if I wanted to iron my husband's go to the meeting shirt or bake cookies? They usually have starch but were out. I guess I'll keep trying.
Actually, I think most of the powdered laundry starches are just cornstarch -- the same stuff you use for cooking. I just Googled because I have always wondered if there was a different old-fashioned powdered starch than the cornstarch recipes that people have posted. Found Argo and Peal powdered laundry starches, and it looks to me as if they are just powdered cornstarch in a larger box or bag.

As I mentioned before, I buy Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch in a blue quart jug. I just went upstairs and pulled my jug to look at the contents: water, corn starch, borax, processing aids, preservative, ironing aid, perfume. So, even the commercial liquid starch is primarily corn starch!

As others have mentioned, there are other forms of starch too. One website even gave directions on how to make potato starch. You start by peeling the potato!