Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kinds of quilts have you made for charity? >

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

Old 01-28-2011, 08:59 PM

i joined a group called the Quilts of Valor. We use only Red, White & Blue. The quilts & a pillow case go to the military hospitals all over the world. We do a lot of nine patch. log cabins. Disappearing 4 patch. etc. We have a lot of fun and we know this is a great cause.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:02 PM

Hello,
I make lap quilts and bed-sized quilts for the single beds in the nursing home where my husband is. The residents are very happy and most grateful to see the bright colors I try to incorporate into the quilt patterns. Their rooms are so drab-looking, they need something to cheer them up.
Stephanie
Old 01-28-2011, 11:10 PM
QM
Power Poster

When my sister was in one long term hospital, she was told that her quilts were in the way. The staff also taunted her when she said grace before meals. She was then moved to a faith based hospital. The person who settled her in said, "Oh, it's too warm for these lovely quilts on your bed right now. Would you like to have our maintenance man hang them where you can see them?"

I don't kinow how she survived the first hospital. In the second, nurses, other patients and their families visited her to see her 'quilt show'. Those quilts did a great deal to show her and those around her that she was really loved, even though she was 400 miles from home. My brother was also wrapped in quilts from me when he was dying. Hospital quilts are terribly important. One lap quilt I sent to my sister never got to her, but the joys she expressed about the others more than made up for that glitch.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:37 AM

"Hospital quilts are terribly important" QM you are so right, with the Project Linus quilts I hear such lovely stories some are distressing but the quilt remains important. Even in death, which does unfortunately happen, so many of the little kiddiewinks are buried in their favourite quilt, or the Mother takes is as a grieving blanket.

Before I started quilting I never realised how a bunch of fabrics could give such joy and pleasure, now I will never stop, it is my addiction :thumbup:
Old 01-29-2011, 06:22 AM

I belong to World of Charity Stitching and we do quilts for the nursing home in northern, Florida (Milton and Pensacola) and they are so grateful. The group does cross stitching and then we turn the squares into quilts. We have stitchers from all over the world. If anyone is interested in joining let me know.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:12 AM

Yes, Qm lap quilts are terribly important! The residents in the nursing home that I make the quilts for are most appreciative and so proud. They tell everyone about "their" quilt. ;) I hope to do this for many others there.
Stephanie
Old 01-29-2011, 08:06 PM

Our church had a group several years ago that made lap covers, bibs, wheelchair bags and other items for nursing homes in the area. I was in the group but now there are only 2 of us left to carry on. These people look forward to receiving a gift of their own. I make lots of fleece covers and also some pieced ones. I find the fleece on the markdown counter so that helps.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:12 AM
QM
Power Poster

Several years back, DH and I went to the local soup kitchen. We told the lady in charge that we had several quilts to donate through them to people who really needed them. We knew she would know the real needs better than we did. She hung all of the quilts out of reach. A vet who'd left his lower legs in Nam went to her very quietly and asked if the lap quilt with a horse's head had been spoken for. She told him she'd been saving it for him. She told us he'd been a bronc rider and cowboy before he went to Nam, and the head I'd appliqued reminded him of his favorite horse from 'before'. He showed me that the quilt was the perfect size to keep his stumps of thighs warm.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:30 AM

I am so glad you do that, quilts do give people comfort and you gave them all a wonderful gift.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by QM
Several years back, DH and I went to the local soup kitchen. We told the lady in charge that we had several quilts to donate through them to people who really needed them. We knew she would know the real needs better than we did. She hung all of the quilts out of reach. A vet who'd left his lower legs in Nam went to her very quietly and asked if the lap quilt with a horse's head had been spoken for. She told him she'd been saving it for him. She told us he'd been a bronc rider and cowboy before he went to Nam, and the head I'd appliqued reminded him of his favorite horse from 'before'. He showed me that the quilt was the perfect size to keep his stumps of thighs warm.
Oh, QM, that is a wonderful story--thanks for sharing it. That is what quilting is all about, isn't it? I think we receive more joy than the recipient.