Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kinds of quilts have you made for charity? >

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

Old 01-26-2011, 05:22 AM

Ive done Linus Project quilts. This is a really nice cause, it should take away all the bad vibes - you are sending love into the Universe here. What you give you get, remember. So if you're giving and giving your love freely you should see it come back to you down the line somewhere - sharet
Old 01-26-2011, 05:22 AM

I check my stash first to see what fabrics I have on hand.
This helps me decide on the pattern I will make.
And I just go from there. Most of the time just drafting out a pattern I can make from my scraps and leftover strips. These quilts will be washed a lot so I don't do any applique or
machine embroidery just a simple pieced quilt
Old 01-26-2011, 05:26 AM

Here are pictures (I hope) of a few I have made for our community Christmas baskets. I like to make quilts for little boys.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-168287.jpe   attachment-168288.jpe   attachment-168289.jpe   attachment-168290.jpe   attachment-168292.jpe  

Old 01-26-2011, 05:45 AM

Such fancy quilts for charity. We have one lady in our church quilting group that used Trip Around the World and if I sew them, mine are scrappy tops. For and auction to raise money I usually use the Churn Dash pattern, it is to easy to make. Ours go to Milwaukee to the poor and homeless, Right to Life organization and whoever needs one. Some went to a nursing home,others to churches that help their neighbors. Lots of 4 and 9 patch, anything that goes fast and easy and all are tied with love.

Carol J.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:47 AM
Banned

I make the simplist. I believe more is better. colorful fabric makes simple squares and rectangles look real good.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:47 AM

I usually make whatever suits my fancy that day. Charity quilts are a great way to try a new technique and to practice your free-motion quilting.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:57 AM

margaret53, great quilts!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:04 AM

I have made over 50 quilts for babies in the last year. I give them to the local pregnancy place that helps young girls out. I also do lap quilts for the commission on aging here in town. If you need a place to give them to check there or the local Red Cross. It sure feels good to donate things that you are sure wil be loved. I buy fabric when it is on sale or I wouldn't be able to do this.
Annie
Old 01-26-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by oatw13
I have also sent many quilts to Margaret's Hope Chest. They have two programs.

The first is called Wrapped in Hope: http://wrappedinhope.blogspot.com/
They provide a quilt that you make to a child on his or her birthday. All of the children in the program have one or more parents in prison. The quilt is a gift from the parent in prison.

They also collect quilts and distribute them year round in several ways. Again, in prisons, but also within the community to those in need.

http://margaretshopechest.blogspot.com/

They accept quilts all year and are not really particular about pattern or style.
This is a great organization as are all of the others mentioned here.

Find the one that speaks to you. :)
Thank you. I know three children whose father is in prison. I'm going to see if I can get them on the list. Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:24 AM

I use Trip around the World pattern, lately the D9P , otherwise just cut 9 inch blocks and sew them together radomly and tie. I give them to the Childrens Home, Place of Home, nursing homes, hosptial birthing ward.