Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What length stitch to machine quilt? >

What length stitch to machine quilt?

What length stitch to machine quilt?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:35 AM

Can someone translate for me the 2.2, 2.5, 3.5 stitch lengths? Both of my machines (Singer 403 & Singer Featherweight) have the stitch lengths 6, 7, 8...20. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2010, 09:25 AM

The smaller the number, the shorter the stitches. For me on my Janome, I like the 3.8 for my "normal" stitch length, and I use a 5 for basting. Hope this helps!
Old 12-02-2010, 09:39 AM

Everybody has to decide what stitch length is best for them and the machine they are using. Practice on a scrap sandwich (even if it just made out of plain white cloth and batting). Make sure to write down the settings that show on your machine onto your little practice piece. Sometimes you want longer, and sometimes you want shorter stitches.

For me, I like to machine quilt when my stitch length setting reads either 2.6 or 2.8. But that wouldn't mean anything to the folks who don't have the same settings on their machines.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
The smaller the number, the shorter the stitches. For me on my Janome, I like the 3.8 for my "normal" stitch length, and I use a 5 for basting. Hope this helps!
And that is why I'm glad I asked...because on my machines the smaller the number the longer the stitches (6 would be basting...10-12 is usually used for normal stitching)

Thanks for the insight.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanne girl
It doesn't matter what length the stitch is set, when you free motion, your feed dogs are down and you control the length by the fastness or slowness that you move your fabric under your open toed darning foot.
That is only true for some machines. Others MUST have the stitch length set or the stitches will be anry little bites in the fabric. On my Babylock, I set mine to 3 or 3.5 mm and do quite well with it.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:21 AM

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will do some practice pieces and see what works best for me. I am going to do echo quilting on a pillowcase I am making to match the quilt I made for my GD. I had the quilt hand quilted but thought I could just machine quilt the pillowcase. This forum is great! Thanks!
Old 12-02-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by clem55
And that is why I'm glad I asked...because on my machines the smaller the number the longer the stitches (6 would be basting...10-12 is usually used for normal stitching)

Thanks for the insight.
I think it varies by machine because a basting stitch on mine translates to a 4 (according to the manual) and a normal stitch of 2.2 translates to a 2-3. I used to have a Singer as well and I believe a normal stitch length was a 3 for that machine. You can contact Singer, though, and they'll tell you. That's how I found out when I had mine.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Can someone translate for me the 2.2, 2.5, 3.5 stitch lengths? Both of my machines (Singer 403 & Singer Featherweight) have the stitch lengths 6, 7, 8...20. Thanks!
If your Singers are fairly old, the stitch lengths may be measured in the number of stitches per inch. That's the way my Singer Slant-O-Matic 603 (early 1960s) is. I typically use a setting of 10 or 12 when using this machine. I was very confused when I got a new Singer and it had the 2.2, 2.5, 3.5, etc lengths! :wink: