Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to look for at IKEA >

What to look for at IKEA

What to look for at IKEA

Old 11-05-2013, 03:38 AM

Default What to look for at IKEA

I'm heading to NC and while the grandkids are in school I'm going to IKEA. I know the store is huge and will have some time but not hours. What are some things that would be good for using in my quilt cabin? Thanks for your ideas. FB
Old 11-05-2013, 04:47 AM

I have several of the little lamps they sell. I'm not good at finding and adding links, but maybe someone who does will know what I'm talking about since I heard about them on the board. They cost about 10-20$ and they have a bendy stem so you can point the light right at your needle. I keep one on my at home machine, one with my travel machine and one on my long arm.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

They have great storage ideas and work area pieces that you can customize to your space. Happy shopping.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:54 AM

I would look at the catalog online so that I would have a really good idea what I'm interested in....
Old 11-05-2013, 07:31 AM

I did not find in the store many of the cool things I saw online. I found a small section (in the store I visited) of fabric, mostly heavier weight. There was also a good deal on thread and scissors, which I bought. I also checked the sheets because I was looking for 100% cotton in white, but I wasn't able to find any deals on that.

However, I have heard of great deals on fleece and cotton that others have found. Happy hunting!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:54 AM

I've only been to one IKEA in my life and it was huge. The store is set up so you basically HAVE to walk through the entire store to get to the "hidden" registers (at least the one in Stoughton, Mass was). I bought terry bath towels there, but won't buy again - they don't absorb at all (no I don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets). DD has bought bookcases there and loves them. I liked the look of their "office/desk" chairs. Lots of interesting gadgets, too. You should be able to get through the entire store in under 2 hours. One suggestion: if you see an item you like - pick it up then and there (or take the tag for it) or you may not be able to find your way back to where it was located. I found the store very confusing to maneuver around. Enjoy your trip! (I think they may even have sewing machines!)

Anita
Old 11-05-2013, 08:00 AM

I've only been to the store once-it is huge. You really need hours. I have ordered from them and my favorite item right now is the raskog kitchen cart. I bought one and it is so awesome I might buy 2 more for my sewing room. Strangely, though, shipping is cheaper if I buy one at a time. When I put two in my basket they wanted something like $250 (or was it $350) for shipping. But if I order one at a time it costs $21 shipping per cart.

eta link: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30216536/

Last edited by gale; 11-05-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
I would look at the catalog online so that I would have a really good idea what I'm interested in....
I think you can even create a wish list online and then go pick the stuff up at the store. At the very least you can find out if the items are in stock at the store you're going to.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:07 AM

We have one here in Phoenix. I definitely wear walking shoes because I love to look, there is so much to see, and it is very big.

A friend and I go early to have the 99 cent breakfast, browse and buy, then visit the nearby LQS's. I take my large travel coffee mug and fill it up so I can have the coffee while I shop.

I bought a rolling 4 tiered coated wire basket item called Antonius. I don't think that name is available now but they do have something similar. I have 2, one on top of the other, in my studio closet to hold my stash. I can see what I have very easily. Love them.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:10 AM

Definitely check out the catalog online and write down the item numbers