Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to look for in LAQ? >

What to look for in LAQ?

What to look for in LAQ?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:52 PM

I wouldn't just send my quilt top. I need to have more control.

I do LA quilting for friends. Believe me we go over patterns and I write down what we agree on! I have heard too many horro stories from other LA'ers who didn't and got stung by hurtful comments after doing the work.

HandiQuilter has a roll of plastic to mark the quilting patterns on so the client can see what is being considered. I've used it and found I like it a lot.

ali
Old 09-07-2011, 07:00 PM

As a "quilt-top-piecer," as opposed to a "quilter," I endorse all of the advice that's been offered so far.

The person who quilts your creation can make or break the final appearance of your quilt. Choose wisely!
Old 09-08-2011, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
I think looking at their previous work is important, all LAQ do have their own style, while some people quilt beautifully, some overdo the quilting to me even if it is beautiful as well so I would probably not send mine to someone who quilts heavily. You want to choose someone whose taste match yours
Yes. Start at a local quilt store. Business cards are usually near the register but definitely see the quilter's work! My quilting wouldn't appeal to Dolphyngyrl because I like closer quilting.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:36 AM
Power Poster

look at samples of their work- and find a quilter who quilts the way you want your quilts quilted- everyone is different- some people do strictly panto's=some do all custom work---everyone does different types of quilting- has their own personality- and preference- expertise-
there is also a huge variance in pricing-
so= check out peoples work- when you find work that meets your (likes) then contact them and ask about pricing- policies- turn around time-what they provide- threads used ect...
then choose the person who will fit your needs.