Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What machine do you use for FMQ? >

What machine do you use for FMQ?

What machine do you use for FMQ?

Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by SherryW
I use my Janome Memory Craft 9700, although I haven't done much FMQ. I guess I just don't want to mess up something that I've spent a lot of time on. I will get more brave, though, because I do want to learn how to be good at it.
I have a MC 9000 and it does not do very good FMQ. I get a lot of "eyelashes" on the back, so I bought a Bernina 180 and have not had a single "eyelash" since then. Someone told me that machines with a front/side loading bobbin work much better for FMQ than those with a top loading bobbin. Though I only have these two machines to do FMQ with, there's a world of difference between them!

To the original question, Bernina is know for excellent stitches, but I see some other very good replies to your question. My friend has a Pfaff Grand Quilter and absolutely loves it for FMQ, but it is a very loud machine.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:08 AM

I use my old Bernina Artista 200 with a Bernina Stitch Regulator for FMQ. It works fine for me. Of ourse, I'd really like to have a Bernina 830.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
I am looking to buy a better sewing machine (not a long arm) to do free motion quilting. I know it can be done on just about any regular machine but I'd like to know what you all use. I currently have a Brother cs6000i which sews just fine but the throat space is too small for a large quilt to pass. Even on small quilts I've settled on doing just straight lines. Tell me everything from top of the line machines to budget friendly.
I have the Brother 1500s and it has a longer arm and higher arm. It is only a straight stitch, and has a pin feed. It is very stable, weighs a lot, and must be solid state as it has handled anything that fits under the presser foot. It has an awesome walking foot that comes with the machine. I purchased it on ebay new from a seller in Ga last year and got it for less than $700 with free shipping. I would do it again!
Old 10-25-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcurious
Has anyone done a free motion tutorial on the QB using a Singer 301?
I'm just starting practicing on a 10" quilt sandwich and I'm wondering how I'd do a full size quilt that is also a work in progress block by block.
It would be great to see how someone maneuvers the quilt on the 301 to do FMQ.
There are several tutorials on Quilt as you go, since I have 301, 401, 500, 15-91, 201, 221 and Brother 1500s I can tell you that any of those tutorials will work, plus there are some more on u tube. The real issue on any home sewing machine is how much strength you have in your hands, shoulders, neck and PLANNING how you will manipulate the thing through the smaller underarm length. Check out Marti MIchells book on assembling the quilt in larger but manageable pieces, I have found I can handle a width of about 30 to 34 inches by as long as I need, as long as I plan the quilting pattern to suit, meaning not too much bactracking. I have also used an embroidery machine to do blocks which I have later joined up as QAYG. For the emb mach, I use a special hoop that allows me to emb with out hoop burning, it is the magna hoop and costs about $100.00. I purchased a second set of magnets so that the plate will hold through the quilt of sandwich.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by woody
Janome Horizon and I love it. I previously had a Brother NS30 and this is in another league.:)
ditto - except I piece witha brother Pacesetter NX 400 when I am in the middle of FMQ on the Horizon
Old 10-25-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
I am looking to buy a better sewing machine (not a long arm) to do free motion quilting. I know it can be done on just about any regular machine but I'd like to know what you all use. I currently have a Brother cs6000i which sews just fine but the throat space is too small for a large quilt to pass. Even on small quilts I've settled on doing just straight lines. Tell me everything from top of the line machines to budget friendly.
Janome Horizon - great machine
Old 10-25-2011, 04:03 PM

thanks for all the good information on FMQ on your 301
Old 10-25-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
HQ Sweet Sixteen sit down. I still move the quilt under the needle, but I have all that delicious throat space. I love it.
Same here! :D
Old 10-25-2011, 04:13 PM

I use a 18" Tin Lizzie sit down model...
i got it at a Quilt show at show price and it was actlly cheaper than what I paid for any of my brother or
baby Locke machines
Old 10-25-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcurious
It's just beautiful, love the brightness of the colors and your FMQ design looks very nice.
Thank you! I love my old gals. Like someone else, I have a second 15-91 for backup, but if I needed to, I could use one of my Kenmores - they don't have as much room under the arm, but I actually think they're the most "forgiving" with tension and skipped stitches issues than the Singers.

There really isn't much difference from one machine to another in how you manuever the quilt under the needle. The 15 has a little more room than the 301, but the process is the same.

Yes, that helps, do you start in the center and how do you mark your design on the quilt top.
I do generally start in the center. I do as little marking as possible. On this particular quilt, I didn't mark any of it, I just started doodling in the center and then moved outward toward the edges, dealing with about one square foot at a time.

Another one that I just finished quilting required some marking - there are 49 overlapping 14˝" circles, a feather wreath in each of 49 blocks and 14 long chains of a fleur-de-lis type of design in the sashing/cornerstones. I marked the large circles and for the feathered wreaths, I marked the circles that I would follow for the "spine" of each feather, but I do the feathers freehand and the fleur-de-lis, too.

When I get to the borders, the narrow inner border won't require marking, but the big scalloped feather design will need to have the spines marked to keep them even.

Do you drop your feed dog? I tried that and it seemed to do better with them left up.
I do drop mine, but it's not necessary. Some people seem to find it easier with them up - whatever works best for you. :)

I also put my stitch regulator at the lowest position, but I'm am just learning to regulate speed (knee lever) and work my hands to make designs.
You're coordinating a lot of activity all at once.

I think I do a lot better when I draw the design a bazillion times on a Dry Erase board before I try to draw it on the quilt. That way, I don't have to think about which way to go next - my hands seem to move automatically to draw the design and I can concentrate on keeping the fabric smooth.