Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to make to sell at craft shows? >

What to make to sell at craft shows?

What to make to sell at craft shows?

Old 03-25-2012, 02:09 PM

I have heard that the mark of a good show is one where you take in 10 times the amount of your booth rent. Of course, that doesn't help you much on the front end, but it may help you evaluate shows. Good luck!
Old 03-25-2012, 02:46 PM

Unfortunately, a lot of people want a quilt for a little bit of money. They have no idea how much the fabric costs are and the number of hours it takes to make one. I was told a while ago that a crafter should get a minimum of $10 per hour for labor to cover the costs. Just a thought.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by bunbytes View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of people want a quilt for a little bit of money. They have no idea how much the fabric costs are and the number of hours it takes to make one. I was told a while ago that a crafter should get a minimum of $10 per hour for labor to cover the costs. Just a thought.
Hah! $10 an hour! Oh how I wish that were true - even on commissioned work I don't think I get much above $4 an hour (but that is with no overhead, no commute, flexible hours, and my own schedule, so I am NOT complaining). I maintain that people want one-of-a-kind, handmade, artisan quality items at Wal-Mart prices, and are not generally prepared to pay for a quilt what they would pay for "art". Sometimes makes me wish I could take clients to the LQS with me...and also show them how much planning/cutting/piecing/quilting really gets done in an hour!

I do it for the joy, and am grateful that at them moment it doesn't have to pay my bills...
Old 03-25-2012, 03:38 PM

Good advice in this thread!
Old 03-25-2012, 03:58 PM

Table Runners and Toppers, pincushions, small baskets with candles in them, yes and watch color combinations, but have fun also.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I have been doing shows for over 20 years , along the way I learned some lessons the hard way. I can share a few tid bits of info
1. Fall shows typically have better sales
2. The best fall shows applications are out now. and if they have not already closed the application process they will soon
3. Do not be afraid of juried shows. These shows typically have a good reputation and following so they can be picky about who they let in. The last thing you want is to be in a show that lets any one who comes up with a table fee.
4. Have a variety of items priced in different price ranges.
5 Some have had success in selling bed size quilts . I have not . Enevitably someone what that quilt but larger , and without a certain fabric , and with fabrics that are no longer available . They also take up alot of room when it comes to transporting.
6. Its the fabrics that sell the goods . Always pick fabrics that you just can not resist. Remember what prompts you to buy .
7. There is a larger market for items under $20.00 than over
8. Shows that are closer to gift giving holidays will have better sales . A show a week or two before Mothers Day is a good spring show .
9. Wearables do sell well if made from irresistable fabrics.
10 . Do your homework on colors... look at current trends ... I always look at the furniture ads to see what color couches/sofa are current . Thats what colors I look to coordinate many of my table runners. Look to the most popular cothing ads for colors in wearables. That does not mean to completely avoid some stunning fabrics, there will always be that person who wants the unusual. I love to go to Kohls and just look at the towels and bedding they are selling for color trends. Remember these big companies spend alot of money researching colors before they commit to spending big $$ on inventory.
11. Sew what you are good at , poorly made goods have no market.
12. Make proto types and test market , have a few of a proto type in your booth, before making lots of any item. Listen to the comments , is it the fabric they like or don't like, is it the size... don't take these comments personal they will help you from making costly mistakes.
13. Research what sells in your area, by going to shows in the area you are thinking about selling in.
14. The research of what sells should not be your only guide .... Be original . There is nothing worse than going to a show only to find alot of people selling the same goods. The only thing left for the consumer in choosing is price.
15. Well displayed goods sell better than poorly displayed goods, do research and homework for getting your booth space designed. People always linger longer in the better booth displays. They are more likely to just keep walking if your display is not inviting.
16. Do not be afraid to have a clearance bin , once an item has gone through a season of selling and its still in your inventory .. move it out . It is taking up valuable space in transporting and booth space. We have all made some duds in our time ... move them out and recover what $$ you can for purchasing supplies .
17. The most important .... PICK YOUR SHOWS CAREFULLY! just because you paid a fee for a table is no assurance there will be buyers. Pick shows that have been around for a long time , they continue to exist because they have a following both from buyers , which makes the cafter want to come back.
Thanks for the great info.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:16 AM

I like the idea of "t-shirt" quilts. You could actually use shirts supplied by the customer so the quilt would be "one-of-a kind" with interest to them. Figure out cost of batting, and backing plus profit you want. I feel that you never get a reasonable wage for your labor but since you time is "free" since you are retired just think about profit and what quilt would sell for. Make a couple of sample quilts for set ;pricing and then show them ar craft shows. Take orders. I would rather sell 5 $10 items that no $50 items. Good luck!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:20 AM

check out www.nashvillewraps.com they have a great variety of sizes and colors...I purchase small bags, to put my Mary Kay samples in for customers, etc....they have the best pricing that I could find at the time...Good Luck.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch View Post
Do any of you crafters know of a place that sells the plastic bags in a variety of sizes for a descent price? On-line, of course? Thanks
www.gtbag.com The only drawback is that you have to buy 1,000. However, the prices are fantastic.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Take a look at a company called U-line , they have a huge assortment of bags at various price points.
http://www.uline.com/
Lori, if you buy from Uline, look at www.grbag.com. They are a fraction of the cost for the same things.