Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What makes a good medallion/round robin center? >

What makes a good medallion/round robin center?

What makes a good medallion/round robin center?

Old 09-06-2021, 06:58 AM

I love doing Round Robins....to my surprise I really enjoy solving the design challenge you get with each stage.

I started my last one with a New York Beauty block. It was paper pieced so that made construction pretty easy.

The best RR I have participated in had only one prompt for every exchange: "make it better". That really allows for a lot of design fun.

The hardest part of RR's I find is preventing the final quilts all being medallion quilts. Whenever possible, I try to push the the centre block off the central position...that usually makes for a much more interesting quilt.

Last edited by WesternWilson; 09-06-2021 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by WesternWilson View Post
I love doing Round Robins....to my surprise I really enjoy solving the design challenge you get with each stage.

I started my last one with a New York Beauty block. It was paper pieced so that made construction pretty easy.

The best RR I have participated in had only one prompt for every exchange: "make it better". That really allows for a lot of design fun.

The hardest part of RR's I find is preventing the final quilts all being medallion quilts. Whenever possible, I try to push the the centre block off the central position...that usually makes for a much more interesting quilt.
i too like doing design challenges. It’s one of the reasons I like boomerang swaps.

the two medallion quilts I’m working on have NY beauty blocks as their center.. I’m doing different sizes of borders. Not just 6”. The medallion quilts with all 6” borders aren’t as pleasing to me so the asymmetrical quilt idea is appealing.

Since I’ve got the two medallion quilts in progress and two ideas for art quilts popped into my head I’ve decided to skip the swap this round. I’ll be lurking in the thread to get inspired by the swap quilts.

it was great hearing all the perspectives on how to make a good medallion quilt.