Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes you look at a quilt and say "WOW"?

community benefactor
    Some quilts shout "WOW" from 100 feet away and some quilts hit you in the gut with a wow when you are close enough to see the stitching and the complete picture. And some quilts knock a person over with their admiration while the person next to them yawns. I think it is a lot like judging husbands. ROFL.

Probably first is the color but I also notice if the actual quilting(not the piecing) is spectacular.

I'd have to say color because it's the first thing that draws the eye, then design because if the color and design fit together that's a real pull. Much as I hate to say it, you can't really see the workmanship til you get close, but after I've said that, it's the workmanship that makes me think that what was a very beautiful, stand out quilt from a distance is in fact "a work of art".

Don't forget that over the years, color fades, patterns become over produced and a ton of people are doing their version of same patterns (almost all of which are 'Quick & Easy').

Workmanship will always be there, the number of pieces, the handwork, the quilting stitches and how even they are, the originality of the design, the overall quality of the quilt. Even after hundreds of years go by and there are only parts of the quilt left, you can look at something and say what wonderful workmanship.

All that said, someone posted a picture of an old quilt with a VERY original version of a design and it just grabbed me (I think she was asking if anyone knew what the pattern was called). The colors were ok, I couldn't tell how good the workmanship was but the design reached out and screamed 'LOOK AT ME' to a person who loves quilts.

First the colors! Then the pattern.

I say Wow! to EVERY quilt I see. I am in awe of the craft, the creator's talent, the colors, the designs...so many factors work together to make these lovely works of art. What's not to wow?

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    Color will draw my eyes first then the emotion the quilt raidiates then when I get close enough the workmanship done. I especially like hand quilting and embelishments

Anything that looks like it took a lot of time an patience. Something I think I could never master.

Blog Entries
    Color combinations draw me first, then I get overwhelmed at the designs and "how did they do that"!!! The time and devotion gets me too.

color placement and fabric chices mainly. But also interesting blocks.

The colors (I like a lot of contrast), the quilting, and if the pattern is what I consider to difficult for me to attempt, lol.

Blog Entries
    I have never seen a quilt that I truly disliked but I do like some more than others because of pattern and color combos. The ones with colors that we do not think about together are my big eyhe catchers.

I love the wonderful colors.

IMHO some quilts are truly made well ,but the choice of fabrics causes me to feel that it was a waste of time and skill.

Color combinations and dimension or motion in the design.

Blog Entries
    When I see a quilt in a magazine if the color appeals to me I want to make it , if not I don't care for it. Just my idea.

Sometimes a quilt will take my breath away, which means it has captured something in my heart. Then I usually spend some time "drinking it in" before I look closer to figure out what about the quilt was so captivating. As a newbie, the first time that happened was at a show in NC where Ellen Guerrant had some quilts displayed. Her work is so full of her heart, I just love it.

Design really gets me. I am most often drawn to quilts with one central radiant focus rather than block layout. (Lone Star is an example.) Color sings to me, but it isn't what makes me WOW. Usually it's seeing something that looks fresh and new. Which is amazing in this craft!

For me, I try to see beauty in each one. The quilt is important to the person that made it and I appreciate that. It's hard to say which one will make me say wow, though. It's not necessarily the degree of difficulty, although I am in awe of complicated patterns. It's not necessarily the color, although there are some colors I am more drawn to than others. It's not the style, although I am not as pulled to abstract designs. The quilts that cause me to say "Wow" are the ones that speak to my heart in some inexplicable way. I guess that was a long-winded way of saying, I don't know.

Blog Entries
    the first thing I see, is color, then I see the pattern, and then the quilting, it all makes the whole, and keeps you wanting to keep on looking, or come back for another look.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Colors and design would be the first.
    I tend to WOW over quilts that I think I could not make myself too.
    Me Too. Which means most of them. LOL

Color draws me firstly. I like mostly bright cheery color then it is the design.

Color and fabric choice definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829
    For me, it's a striking contrast of color and shapes.
    This is what I would say. I like a lot of different things, but the common denominator is what I'd call "visual punch", and is part color and contrast and part design. I tend to like brights, but there has to be something more than just bright color to a quilt for me to like it.

It's the color conbinations for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie o.
    I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I just came back from a quilt show, and so many of the quilts were simply outstanding. Over the years, I've tried to decide what makes me look twice (or three times) at a quilt and think "How magnificent!"

I think that the choice (and combination) of fabrics has so much to do with how a quilt "feels" when it's all done. I am curious to read what other quilters think is the key to making one of those "WOW" quilts.

Color hits me first, then composition. I probably should not say it but the workmanship is the last thing I am drawn to.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast