Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What method do you use for drafting patterns?

Graph paper and pencil is getting old, frustrating, and non-productive. I can't keep it all in my head, and the EQ6 may be more than what I need.

So how do you all draft your patterns and figure out your yardage? I don't want to be completely at the mercy of a software program as I like to know how to figure things out, but more accurately would be nice too.

Any ideas? Something I can use right now? :roll: Or, OK, I'll take something I need to buy too.

Blog Entries
    I don't know of a better way then EQ if you don't like the paper and pencil way. :wink:

EQ5 is pretty cheap on Ebay. It does everything you need and by the time EQ 7 comes out you will know if you will really use it or not.

There are other options then the EQ sytems. I have 'Quilt Wizard' and love it. Very quick and simple. I have the EQ6 but, hardly touch it. One of these days maybe...I just want to sew!:)The QW isn't that expensive and simple to use...and, quick. I have to admit, depending on what I am doing, I still sometimes draft mine out. For paper piecing both systems are great for patterns and size:)Boy, I prob didn't help:)Skeat

Banned
    i use EQ.

there's something called quilt composer - you can download it for 30 days and give it a try and then if you like it the price is $25 or so.

i've never tried it but i like the idea of trying before buying.

here's a link

http://www.quiltcomposer.com/index.php

I just went to the EQ6 website and watched the demo. OMG that is amazing! I didn't realize you could also scan in your own fabrics and threads!

I just may have to buy myself an I love me present... :D

Banned
    EQ is awesome and what a wonderful present to give yourself.

we all deserve a nice present now and again :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfli19
    I just went to the EQ6 website and watched the demo. OMG that is amazing! I didn't realize you could also scan in your own fabrics and threads!

I love my EQ6, one difference between EQ5 and EQ6 is the amount of times you can download the program. If your computer crashes, you are going to be on download number 2, if you download it to your laptop and desk pc that is two downloads and if one of them crashes you are onto your third download. I wish I would have checked more of the comparisons of EQ5 before I bought EQ6.

Banned
    the number of installs on a computer with EQ6 is a bummer. i haven't upgraded to 6 for that reason.

i have EQ5 installed on 3 different computers in my house so i can play with it from any location.

i'd never be able to do that with 6

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfli19

I have to admit that was one of the big selling points for me too. I love that I can see my quilt before I cut one piece of fabric.

I'm pretty sure that if you contact Electric Quilt & can give proof that your hard drive crashed that they will "allow" an additional download of your EQ6.

Blog Entries
    I don't have any quilt software (yet) :cry: . I draw up my plans in PowerPoint and color the shapes with my fabric that I've uploaded photos of. They look better from the camera than when I scan them. It's not exact with colors, but does give me an idea of what I want. What it does lack is the ability to calculate yardage. I have to do that manually (using Excel or referring to a book I bought long ago called "Taking the math out of patchwork quilting").

All of the EQ programs cost more than I could afford to spend now. But I did check out that Quilt Wizard someone recommended. I am seriously considering trying that. I might also try out that Quilt Composer that was recommended. But usually, the software with free trials lack the ability to do exactly what I want.

Blog Entries

I love love love my EQ5!! I like that I can make a block and then in the quilt I can turn the block and play with differant looks. I come up with new ideas just by turning the block!

It is easy to use and I don't use everthing available but it suits my needs very well!!

I can't recommend it highly enough!! It is worth the money unless you don't do a lot of drafting. It is so much better than pad and pens. Iused to do that too but not anymore!

I like to use it to record ideas of things I want to do as I see them somewhere I go onto EQ and draft that idea into a file for later.

Blog Entries
    I'm a drafter by trade (although I don't do that work any longer) but to be honest, my figuring out how much fabric is required usually gets used ONLY when I have a pattern in mind and the fabric already at the house. The "I wonder if this is enough" syndrome. My fabric shopping experience is usually - Oh heck give me 2 yards, no make that 3, oh just give me what's left on the bolt..... (in my dreams) ROFLOL

DH learned long time ago that purchase of fabric does not have to correlate to project in mind.

Blog Entries
    You can get as many downloads you need from EQ company after you use up the ones on the cd. There is a small charge I think less then $10 after you use up all on the cd. EQ is a major software program not a little applicaton or game so the company has to protect their license. It's no where near the cost of computer design programs that have the same capabilities.

I have EQ5, but to be honest I don't really like it.. probably because I never really learned to use it, and I've been quilting long enough that I just got used to drafting by hand.. I don't even use graph paper. I have a BIG sketch pad, and a variety of rulers, a compass, protractor, mechanical pencils and some string. I just mark a square the size I want my finished block and go from there...haven't had any problems to this point.

Blog Entries
    Butterfli19

http://quiltshops.com/calculator/calculator.htm

This is a fabric calculator using percentages -- not perfect, but very helpful.

Blog Entries
    Butterfli19

Go to http://search.quiltshops.com/calculator/calulator.htm

This is a fabric calculator using percentages 33% dark, 24% medium, 43% light. Put in the size of your block, and it will tell you approximately how much of each fabric you need.

I use graph paper and colored pencils. But this week that process is giving me fits because I want to try different colors in different positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippy
    I have EQ5, but to be honest I don't really like it.. probably because I never really learned to use it, and I've been quilting long enough that I just got used to drafting by hand.. I don't even use graph paper. I have a BIG sketch pad, and a variety of rulers, a compass, protractor, mechanical pencils and some string. I just mark a square the size I want my finished block and go from there...haven't had any problems to this point.
    Tippy, you're my kind of Gal. I don't know your age, but I came up the old way. You can't beat a pencil and paper. I like "doodling" on graph paper to see what I can come up with.

Only teasing you gals who use the computers so easily. More power to you. As my mom would say, "To each his own."

Quote Originally Posted by abacus
    Butterfli19

Go to http://search.quiltshops.com/calculator/calulator.htm

This is a fabric calculator using percentages 33% dark, 24% medium, 43% light. Put in the size of your block, and it will tell you approximately how much of each fabric you need.
    I can't get this to come up. It says is can't be found (or something :? ).

I use EQ4 to draw pictures of the quilts I am designing - it's particularly helpful for telling me how big my quilt is without having to do that math over and over as I play with borders, sashings, changing the block size, etc. and also for printing out pictures for reference. I also like it for gauging values and contrasts. But for actually drafting a pattern or drawing pictures of the step-by-step process, I usually use AutoSketch - a light version of AutoCad - and do the math by hand for cutting instructions and yardage.

I am also a drafter by trade, so sometimes I use AutoCAD to draft a pattern. My mom relies heavily on this ability! I have used graph paper and colored pencils quite a bit as well. I also have EQ5, which I had on my Christmas list one year, and I love it. I don't use it a lot, because I work 40 hours a week (and lately it's actually been 50+). But when I have had the time, EQ5 has been very helpful. The instructions are aimed at even novice computer users. So even though I need to relearn it after a long period away from it, it's still do-able. Switching colors is super fast - as compared to impossible with colored pencils. Also, in case anyone is wondering, the Quiltmaker Quilt Design CD's can be used with EQ5 - you don't have to buy EQ6. Has anyone out there tried quiltncalc (quiltncalc.com)? When I made a note of it to myself (pre-EQ5) it was $89.95. As I recall it looked like a pretty nifty, calculator sized gizmo specifically designed for calculating your quilt yardage. If the price has stayed down, it might be more affordable than EQ6.

I don't want to alarm anyone or act like the software police, but purchasing one license of a software product like EQ5 or EQ6 gives you the right to use that product on only one PC. If you need it loaded on more than one PC, you need to purchase a license for each one. Unless you have some way of guaranteeing only one PC can be used at a time.

Banned
    i purchase software for the corporation i work for and you pay per user - thats the difference between a corp and individual license.

i am the only user of my EQ, as the user i am allowed by law to back up and have the software on my computer and on my back up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast