Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What name brand Charm Pack's Do you buy ?

I like Moda because you can also get Moda in layer cakes and other sizes to match as well as bolted fabric.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yooper32
    I have only bought one charm pack and it is a Moda Christmas one that lives in one of my many drawers of fabric. It is too pretty to use and cost too much, so there it sits in all it's glory. I take it out occasionally and fondle it. I just can't make myself pay that much for someone to cut squares for me, even if they are perfect and perfectly beautiful. Wish I wern't such a pinch-penny.
    If you're the type of person who is more of a "fabric collector" than a "sewer of things"... charm packs are actually a very cost-effective way of indulging your habit. And they look pretty and take up very little space. And you can take them out and "play with them" from time to time. I think they really serve a different purpose than yardage.

I recall the first time I'd ever seen a charm pack. Two sales reps used to display their wares in a town about an hour from me, and I and buyers from other area shops used to travel to their "mini Market" to see the new lines. The Moda rep gave me a charm pack of their Serendipity collection, and you would have thought she handed me a rare jewel. I'm sure she thought my reaction was very strange... but then, these were the days when my kids were small and I "didn't get out much". Anyways, I spent many hours playing with those little squares, studying the designs, imagining up different combinations.

(sigh of contentment)

Moda, though I did buy a Northcott and once and they were lovely

I've bought Moda and I've bought one from the Kansas Troubles Quilters - don't remember who makes that. Is it Moda too? Anyway, one was for a gift and one was for me, and I liked them. The pinked edges don't bother me.

I've also bought a charm pack from Connecting Threads.

Really I have no brand preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    If you're the type of person who is more of a "fabric collector" than a "sewer of things"... charm packs are actually a very cost-effective way of indulging your habit. And they look pretty and take up very little space. And you can take them out and "play with them" from time to time. I think they really serve a different purpose than yardage.
    That is exactly why I love charm packs - a little sample of each fabric, without having to pay a lot. And I love to make scrappy quilts, so I still use them - I can be a fabric collecter and a sewer of things!

I guess I check out the fabric pattern first. Thats the most important for me. Then what whoever the maker is thats the brand I purchase. Although, Moda makes the most charm packs then any other company, I think.

Connecting Threads sells precuts of their fabric. They really have great prices but a limited selection. For example, their Sunday Afternoon line has 27 different fabrics and you can get a sampler kit of 5" squares for $2.39. That's a little more than half the amount of squares in most Moda charm packs, but you can get 2 sampler packs for less than $5.

Moda but I also buy what I like so I would buy another brand if I liked it.

I vote for Moda, too.

Blog Entries
    Moda. Green Fairy Quilts, who is a member here, has great Moda precuts and is always having sales. I think even her regular price is below market price.
    http://greenfairyquilts.com/

Definitely a Moda fan here!!!

any that are are sale :XD:

I'm partial to Moda! :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riversong
    Whatever is on a really good sale! And seldom.
    ......me too. Or I buy from the classifieds on here.

Blog Entries
    Never heard of Riley Blake.....only Moda for me!

Moda is the only way to go for me.

My LQS that carries charms only stocks Moda. I would try others if I could find them.

Anything Moda!! My house in heaven is full of Moda fabric!

I've only ever seen Moda. Local Mennonite shop had their annual 15% off sale last week, part of my purchase was 4 charm packs (two Antique Fair and two Kansas Troubles Perennials) that were $5.61 each (normally $6.60 each).

The problem is now I have NO idea what to do with them!

The new charm packs from Moda don't have the big pinked edge like some used to - I don't buy (I think) Bernartex. There is one brand that is NOT a good 5" charm size .. I mixed them in a D9P and had mismatched seams.
    I also buy Marcus as I collect Ci^il [email protected] repros, and they have some really nice ones.
    I just used Moda FRESH FLOWERS charm pack and part of a jellyroll.. so pretty! Also just got the Lilac one, but it's kind of boring after the brights in the Fresh Flowers!

I forgot who said they didn't know what to do with the new charm packs just purchased! But I just used my Fresh Flowers Charm pack in the Dimensional Bow Tie block - being called the 10 Minute Block today .. that center piece is sewn into the seams .. takes more than 10 minutes too!
    It's pinned for quilting - that is batting not border showing on the edges!

Fresh Flowers Charms - 10 min block
    Name:  Attachment-148849.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  95.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by City
    I forgot who said they didn't know what to do with the new charm packs just purchased! But I just used my Fresh Flowers Charm pack in the Dimensional Bow Tie block - being called the 10 Minute Block today .. that center piece is sewn into the seams .. takes more than 10 minutes too!
    Love the colors. Looks great.

Moda! they are my weakness - I have a whole drawerful of them - some I have 2 or 3 of the same pack. But I love them and I love using them for quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by JanetWall
    Do you buy Riley Blake or Moda ? I like the Moda cause you can get solids to. What do you like?
    Moda is my Fav :) They have the finest pinked edges (unlike other manuf. who still have large pinked edges) I've never had a problem using Moda precuts, unlike some other brands I've had.

Quote Originally Posted by City
    Love your quilt ! :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast