Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What needle for hand sewing binding? >

What needle for hand sewing binding?

What needle for hand sewing binding?

Old 01-06-2016, 10:42 AM
RST

I use a 10 - 12 between (very tiny). I agree that it's a good idea to thread a bunch all at once -- I usually have 6 threaded. I use regular thread, but I run it through bees wax. Single strand. I enjoy doing the finishing work on a binding, and I think using the tools and method that works best for my expectations is part of why I like it. I can finish a queen in a couple of concentrated hours, usually while watching TV.

Recently I took over finishing a binding my sister had underway. She was using a very long thin needle -- probably a straw needle, and she had uncoated, double strand of thread. Talk about misery! The long needle makes it tricky to make a secure finishing knot, at least by the methods I prefer to use. The uncoated thread tangled and shredded. She thinks my tiny needles are impossible, but with the exception of the challenge of threading them, I think it's ideal.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

I use Sharps when hand piecing and sewing my bindings-- size depending on the thread being used-- often either silk or aurifil.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

[ATTACH=CONFIG]539558[/ATTACH]These are what I use to hand stitch my binding. A good size eye for easy threading but they are super sharp for quilting cotton.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 01-06-2016, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]539558[/ATTACH]These are what I use to hand stitch my binding. A good size eye for easy threading but they are super sharp for quilting cotton.
These are wonderful needles to use. Just the feel of them in my hand is a pleasure. They work really nice. Another special tool in my work box.
peace
Old 01-07-2016, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

I prefer a longer needle so I use straw needles.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:10 AM

I usually only use one strand of thread - regardless of type - when sewing down binding to back of quilt.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:25 AM

I use size 11 John James Gold'n Glide Milliner needles with 50 wt Aurifil thread. I love the feel of both but I struggle to thread the needle!! I've used several different needle threaders and can usually get the Bohn threader to work after several tries. The eye of the needle is so small! Anybody have a suggestion for a sure fire needle threader?
Old 01-07-2016, 07:50 AM

I usually use Tulip applique needles, and I use the standard applique stitch to sew my bindings. In fact, I used this stitch on my bindings before I ever started appliqueing. I use a #10 needle with a single strand of thread, coated with Thread Heaven. I use a 50/3 (Gutterman or Mettler Silk Finish) or 60/3 (Prescencia) thread, whichever matches the fabric best. I am one of "those people" who enjoy handwork.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:24 AM

Thank you for the information. I also do not like to sew by hand but I totally enjoy sewing my bindings on. They look great and after putting so much time in to the piecing I can enjoy my quilt one last time. It also gives me time to snip loose or stray threads and just give the total quilt a once over. I think it is the most relaxing time of the entire process and I have grown to look forward to it, rather than dreading it. Now to find those gold needles, I'm having a harder time threading the needles now.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:05 PM

I'm not picky. I use whatever needle I find first!