Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What needle to use? >
  • What needle to use?

• What needle to use?

Old 04-21-2020, 08:28 AM

Default What needle to use?

I am making a denim rag quilt with a square of denim and 2 squares of flannel and was wondering what needle would be best to use in my machine. I am using a denim needle but it seems to be having troubles with the fabrics being too thick and my Janome 6600 MC is really struggling and making clunking sounds. I am thinking of using a Microtex (Sharp) needle which is what I have done research on. Any ideas or suggestion from anyone that has made a rag quilt with denim is appreciated. Thanking you in advance.
    Old 04-21-2020, 08:39 AM

No direct experience with your machine or project and I'm still learning threads and needles for greater quilting satisfaction.

You might try enlarging your stitch size just a bit too, that might mean having to back stitch over ends. Also, what are you using for a bobbin thread? If you usually use a lighter weight bobbin thread you might try a heavier weight.

I love the Microtex size 10 needles as my primary piecing needle when I buy in bulk in advance. Especially working with batiks. A size 12 would probably be ok for your project, I don't know if they come larger than that. You might want to buy one of the packs that have 3 sizes.
    Old 04-21-2020, 11:14 AM

Microtex needles are thinner than others and I kept breaking them mask making. Found an old size 14 - not Microtex -and all is well. 14 is not too big to piece with, though I use a 12.
    Old 04-21-2020, 02:08 PM

Have you seen this in your searches?

https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...e-right-needle

FYI: Microtex 80/12 are my go-to needles. I do use these almost exclusively for machine embroidery and seldom beak a needle. I also used them for mask making last week.
    Old 04-21-2020, 03:00 PM

I would use a denim 16. You may also need to use something to lift the presser foot as you are sewing over the bumps made by several layers. I have something called Jeans-a-ma-jig https://smile.amazon.com/Dritz-Jean-...7509491&sr=8-2. I use this whenever I have to go over thick seams - you lift up the presser foot as you get close to the seam and slip it under the back of the presser foot pushing it as far forward as possible with the needle in the open channel. Then put the presser foot down and sew. I used to have the 6600 and I found I could sew through a lot of thick seams if I used this.
    Old 04-21-2020, 08:41 PM

Denim needles seem dull to me. They clunk through the fabric with an annoying sound. I would use a size 90/14 universal or top-stitch needle for the job you're describing.
    Old 04-22-2020, 03:43 AM

After breaking the third needle while quilting jeans quilt, I bought size 100 needles that said "for denim". I slowed down my speed and if I hit a particularly thick spot, I would "scouch" a little past the trouble spot. Can't wait to see it!
    Old 04-22-2020, 08:10 AM

Thank you all for your advice. What I tried was just to put one layer of flannel and one layer of denim, lengthen my stitch a little and I found some needles in my drawer that said "for leather" and all of these changes made a big difference. The only thing I don't know is which option that I changed to helped the most . Oh well, as long as I can get these quilts done (making 1 for each of my 5 grandchildren for their cars). I will be a happy camper when these are done.
    Yes "quilted sunshine", I found the denim needle may be the reason my machine was making a clunking sound too.