Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Now? I'm at a loss... >

What Now? I'm at a loss...

What Now? I'm at a loss...

Old 04-26-2021, 04:05 AM

Hey Watson, I understand. I like to have a project going on or I flounder. Was doing a lot of floundering, but in about June I'm going to start working on this Whatchamacallit Sampler by Crystal Manning. It was a mystery sort of thing but is a sampler. The link below shows the finished project. Very nice PDF directions but the blog articles give you more ideas on color placement and such.

https://crystalmanningart.com/blogs/...macallit-quilt

Last year EasyPeezy made a thread here which is where I first saw it. A couple of weeks ago I sent a message asking if it had been made -- answer was no, but maybe this year would be good...

My friend Barb is going to take her "large box of small batik scraps" to quilt camp with her this year. I have a 3 yard piece of bright basic solid white and am looking at tropical fruit flavors/colors -- mango and lime and banana and such. Pretty sure I'm going to have fussy cut flamingos too.

While I see this more in bright Kaffe Fassett type colors, I can also see where you can substitute any set of matched fabrics like a layer cake and end up with a lovely sampler of whatever you start with.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:22 AM

Sheilar, Arkansas Crossroads is a favorite of mine. I also love to make the half-square triangles and lay them in the barn raising form.

Here are two barn raising one from 2013 and the second finished this year. So many options and variations. The AC is one of many. This one was made of squares from the QB Birthday Swap 2.5s that I got ever so long ago and the quilt went to a friend who is still using it 10 years later!

Attached Thumbnails 2013-12-28-barn-raising-resized.jpg   2021-2-13-green-off-set-barn-raising-resized.jpg   2014-birthday-swap-quilt-resized.jpg  

Last edited by WMUTeach; 04-26-2021 at 04:29 AM.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:13 AM

How about taking your scraps and making crumb blocks. I have been following Pat Sloan on this subject and it looks fun.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:21 AM

I don't have a specific idea for you, but what I do is when I see a quilt I'd like to make I print out a pic of it and put it on the wall in my sewing room. I look at them as I'm up there working and the next project often pops right out.

I also like to bounce back and forth. I have a few quilt tops that need quilting but right now I'm making a jacket for myself. I felt like I needed a change and I have a lot of garment fabric around so I made myself something new to wear!
Old 04-26-2021, 09:48 AM

I believe I am in a similar place right now. I spent the morning looking over so many different patterns. When I really want to find and do something different I go back to the basics. Our quilters cache https://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html . I start strolling along the different blocks. There is so much to choose from.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:58 AM

that's a great place to find the perfect boom block, too.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:26 PM

I’m loving using my scraps to make Pineapple blocks. I’m using the Gyleen Fitzgerald ruler, but there are good ones by Creative Grids and other makers.
Attached Thumbnails cf27b67a-6e7d-4c83-8c5f-062b1affb5d5.jpeg