Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What other tips am I missing? >

What other tips am I missing?

What other tips am I missing?

Old 05-28-2014, 12:31 PM

That never occurred to me - to pin the left hand side! Can't tell you how many times I have messed that up. Great tip!
Old 05-28-2014, 12:49 PM

I did not know this-- Very helpful! Thank you.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:35 PM

OMG, that's awesome! Thank you Denice_a for the info! We are die-hard Seahawks fans here and I'd love to make a 12th Man quilt!
Old 05-28-2014, 05:31 PM

I sometimes pin the first block in each row but I hadn't thought to put a pin in the left side of each pair. I've had to use the seam ripper many times because I have mixed the pieces up.

I also have wooden clothes pins that I will need to try as my markers. Then I can decide if I like pins or clothes pins better.

I do sometimes remember to take a picture of the design wall pattern before I start to stitch. It does help.

Connie
Old 05-28-2014, 06:29 PM

Yes I agree lots and lots of pics.
Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
ooooh I am so excited to see you are working on the Minecraft quilt !!! YAY !! You must show lots and lots of pictures when your done !!
Old 05-28-2014, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Denice_a View Post
I found a website that (at no charge) converts a picture into squares. It works pretty well for graphing out quilts. I downloaded a jpg of an image of the popular number 12 for the Seattle Seahawks football team to create a quilt for my BF. Cut the squares into 2 1/2" squares, added a few borders and it turned out great.
http://vam.demo.lemberg.co.uk/patchwork-pattern-maker/landing

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477156[/ATTACH]

Oh, awesome, terrific, marvelous, etc, etc!! I was wanting the 12 to quilt for my DS and DIL! Thank you!
Old 05-29-2014, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by scrapinmema View Post
I always put a safety pin in the first left block so that I know this is the top of the quilt when adding rows. Keeps in in order for my colors. When I lay out my quilt on the design wall will always number my rows and take them off the way in order with the left one on top and go down from their. Seems to keep me out of trouble.
A tip from a teacher in a class: If you have your quilt on a design wall and need to take it off to go home you can denote the rows in the following way: For row one stack blocks from left to right and place 1 pin in the upper left corner. Do the same for row two but use 2 pins in the upper left corner. Continue using the number of pins in the corner as in the tow. When I get to row 5, I use a distinctive pin such as a flat head button or flower pin. Then for row 6 use the distinctive pin plus one regular pin and so forth. It works especially well at classes and retreats where you don't have your normal row marking with you.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:04 AM

thank you thank you...That is sooo simple...Why didn't I think of that...I always have to unsew some of my block
Happy Quilter
Old 05-29-2014, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
Glue basting is probably the tip that transformed things the most for me.

I use the pin in upper left corner method but I also take a picture of what I have on my design wall and have it handy near the machine. That way if I get confused I look at the picture to confirm placement. I also use a cookie sheet to transport my pieces from the design wall to the machine and back. I find I'm less likely to get things mixed up if I lay them out on the cookie sheet.

Frixon pens are pretty neat too.
Yep second that. Glue basting changed my life. Gluing is especially awesome for serged items where pins are a big no no. (Max - Virginia)
Old 05-29-2014, 05:06 AM

I make my own markers with flower head pins and a Sharpie. I write the numbers 1, 2, 3, ... on the pins then use them wherever I need to keep the blocks or rows straight. If I need higher numbers, I just use another flower head. I have a separate pin cushion with my numbered pins so I can easily find them.